Poltergeist or power fluctuation?

Rennie Heuer

Staff member
About 5:30 this morning the power went out for just a second or two. Other than a few clicks from the air mattress pump and chirping from various electronics scattered around the house I did not give it much thought. Getting out of bed and preparing breakfast I could hear a whining sound that seemed to be coming from our neighbors which is interesting because we have none. So after breakfast and getting the dishes done I got dressed and headed for the shop. Ahhhh. Now I know where the sound is coming from - my dust collector was running. Seems the momentary outage tripped the Long Ranger remote.

One more thing to kill the breaker on whenever a storm is approaching or if we are leaving for an extended time.

I had that happen with my old cnc, the computer was left on and a power blip caused the spindle to start running. I hadn't been to the shop in a day or two, so not sure how long it ran for. :doh:

Unless you put the Long Ranger on a computer UPS, there's no telling what it might do from a power glitch. I agree, it's best to turn the breaker off if you won't be in the shop for a while. TVs sometimes do that too, and a crossing gate on the Village Park Railroad (my avatar) had a nasty habit of going down, ringing the bell, and flashing the lights nearly every time there was a Thunder Storm, usually in the middle of the night, and much to the displeasure of the neighbors nearby. This problem was finally traced to broken insulation in the underground conduit for the "Train approaching" sensor wiring last year. It hasn't done this again since.

Lightning and power glitches sometimes bring the ghosts out of electrical circuits.

Charley

My problem is sometimes I leave my big ole ingersoll rand compressor on. Takes a while for the air to leak down. Then it starts running, you can't hear it so much as just feel it through your feet, lol.
My compressor does the same thing if I leave it on. And of course, it tends to kick on at the exact moment LOML is walking through the garage, so it startles the heck out of her. :D