pop up tent/canopy

allen levine

lost my carport canopy tent in the storm.
Id like to get a smaller 10x10 pop up tent so I can work outside not under the sun.
I know some of you guys do shows...any reco for a sturdy easy up easy down pop up tent? (dont want to spend a fortune, but dont want a piece of trash either)

Having used both cheap (Walmart) and expensive (Caravan) 10x10 canopies, I'd say you get what you pay for. My Walmart one is much lighter, and suitable for quick shade for an afternoon in the desert shooting guns, but I'd hate to test it in a stiff wind. The Caravan (EZ-Up is another comparable higher-end brand) is much more heavy duty, and better capable of withstanding wind while being firmly anchored to the ground. Without seeing one in action, I'd bet the Harbor Freight model is on par with what Walmart sells.

I think we are talking three different things here. One kind of pop up canopy is what folks bring to tailgate. They can be had for less than $100 . I have two of those. They go up easily, but are fairly flimsy. They don't stand a chance in gusty winds unless there's a person hanging onto each corner. The other kind of pop up is the commercial kind you find at shows. I have a 10'x10' with zip up sides and it's pretty sturdy with the right kind of weights/stakes, but also questionable in very high winds. The HF tent mentioned is pretty darned sturdy, but it's not a pop up. It stays up after it's assembled. Mine has been sitting at the end of my driveway for about three years now and it's still going strong....came through the last storm (65mph gusts) without a scratch. The trick to longevity on these is to top them with a large tarp to keep the sun from rotting the covering. Highly recommended for the price. I think I just saw a coupon for it for $129. I'll get another one if this one folds on me.

Last edited:
...The HF tent mentioned is pretty darned sturdy, but it's not a pop up. It stays up after it's assembled. Mine has been sitting at the end of my driveway for about three years now and it's still going strong....came through the last storm (65mph gusts) without a scratch. The trick to longevity on these is to top them with a large tarp to keep the sun from rotting the covering. Highly recommended for the price. I think I just saw a coupon for it for $129. I'll get another one if this one folds on me.
Harbor freight....https://www.harborfreight.com/10-ft-x-10-ft-portable-shed-63297.html
I also have the Harbor Freight "shed." It's intended to be a 'permanent' structure, not a pop-up. Mine took about two hours to erect, by myself. Two people could have done it much faster, though.
I've had it for about 3~4 years, and it's proven to be quite sturdy, and pretty wind resistant. It comes with several screw-in anchors for wind protection, but is heavy enough that I only used two of them since mine's located in a reasonably protected area behind my shop. It's a good structure for the price, but certainly not a 'put-it-up-quick' project.

I just re-read Allen's original post. For easy up, easy down, non-permanent use, then I think the Walmart level of canopy would suffice.

I just re-read Allen's original post. For easy up, easy down, non-permanent use, then I think the Walmart level of canopy would suffice.

nah, I want something strong, something that will last, and something I only have to take down when the heavy winds come. I looked over the ez up ones, I like the more pro like models.they look sturdy, and some water or sand weights would secure them down for me

I have a 10x20 slab outside the back of my shop and I'm looking at the 10x17 from harbor freight for that. The inside near the house I and use water jugs and the outside I can stake it to the ground that would effectively make my 10x20 shop a 10x37. I can't think of a better way to double my shop size for $200.

I used an EZ-UP for my craft shows... I forget the model number, but it only lasted 10 years before the struts in the top started breaking and two of the pins that secure the legs broke... finally had to scrap it for this season. Thinking about getting a cheap one from either Rural King, Harbor Freight or even Wally-world for next season... probably will only do one more season of shows anyway.
For weights, I cut 2' lengths of 4" diameter, PVC pipe, filled them with play sand and put caps on both ends... I ran an eye bolt through one cap to use as a hanger... kept my tent secure in some pretty hefty wind and rain storms. My market required 40 lbs per leg.... I think mine only weighed about 25 each and never had a problem.

I had the 20 foot canopy secured to ground at three ends. two tied down with cargo straps to fence, and one tied down to large screw hook in front of garage. straps were strong enough, but when hurricane force winds came it just was too strong for piping, it just twisted pipe until they folded, straps held, but metal legs folded under the strap down and winds.(I was watching the chain link fence giving way and the straps loosened just enough to catch canopy like a huge sail)
A neighbor of mine, let me know he has several sets of weights for pop up tents if I wanted one hed be more than glad to give me a set.
He had a pop up tent as well as a gazebo in his yard, the pop up he took down, the gazebo held but the old top ripped apart in storm. Gazebo is bolted to his deck.

Just a thought on this: How about a retractable canopy? I have plenty of room to work in my shop, but have thought abut adding a canopy above the garage door on one side of the front of my shop. That would give me a shaded outside area for finishing and breaking down sheet goods.

Just a thought on this: How about a retractable canopy? I have plenty of room to work in my shop, but have thought abut adding a canopy above the garage door on one side of the front of my shop. That would give me a shaded outside area for finishing and breaking down sheet goods.
A variation on that thought: What about something like a "SunDowner®" retractable awning? Roll it out to work, and retract it back against the building when it's windy, or bot in use. More expensive than a pop-up, but a bit more elegant, too.

I just got a retractable to put on the side of my shed facing the pool. 10ft wide by 8ft long. It works nice, rolls up with a handle. Were up on a hill and get strong winds. We tried a pop up type and it lasted about a month. You can get these all different sizes, I think mine was about 140.00. Let me know when your ready for that oven!!

A variation on that thought: What about something like a "SunDowner®" retractable awning? Roll it out to work, and retract it back against the building when it's windy, or bot in use. More expensive than a pop-up, but a bit more elegant, too.
Variation? Seems like that's what I suggested without a brand name. Sundowner costs more to pay for all their advertising! :)

Would have loved the tent shade today
90 and humid
Stood at the entrance of the garage and ran a top thru the 22-44
Mucho humidad
Looked like I spilled something on it from all the sweat
Ordered a pop up don't recall but decent brand reco by a neighbor who did jewelry booth at fairs and used the brand
Finally back into woodworking again
Feels good

Attachments

• AEF80265-7841-48F1-8FFB-E23B50AA5060.jpeg
    AEF80265-7841-48F1-8FFB-E23B50AA5060.jpeg
    131.3 KB · Views: 12