Posole!!!

Mike Stafford

Cooking up a big ole pot of posole; pork roast diced small and browned in the pot, chopped onions, chopped peppers, garlic, and seasoned with smoked paprika, cayenne, chili powder, oregano and cumin. Add some yellow corn and white corn along with big can of hominy. Let all that soak in some chicken broth at a slow boil for an hour or two and the finished product will do a body good.

I know it is very different than the posole that Vaughn has in his neck of the woods but we don't have any scorpions to add to the pot to give it some bite. :p

I know it is very different than the posole that Vaughn has in his neck of the woods but we don't have any scorpions to add to the pot to give it some bite. :p
The locals here do it with dried or frozen hominy (sold as posole), and minus the white and yellow corn. They usually don't have paprika or cayenne pepper, but plenty of dried Chimayo red chile powder. Much like Hatch in the southern part of the state is the capital of green chile, Chimayo (north of Santa Fe) is the Mecca of red chile.
06a4adeb-7254-4195-a1ac-6c1064695108_1.be6b0ebc9307131a3ac6226e411b5726.jpeg

Chimayo Powder.jpg

Last edited:
We've been nixtamalizing a fair bit of corn to make hominy and tortillas and similar around here. Once I figured out how easy it was (time, lime, and heat..) it seemed worth doing. It definitely makes the dried corn a lot nicer in a stew or the like. I haven't started shelling this years corn but still have 20-30lbs from last year so doing pretty good there.

So far we've dried about close to 100 Chimayo and red new-mex style chili's this year as well.... Looks like we might get a few more before it frosts but they're definitely slowing down. The Chimayo's do grow a smidge different, but we're just mixing them in the powder as both are good and i like the blend (more complex than just one imho).

I did cut & freeze about 2 gallons of fresh sweet that's been making it's way into various soups and stews though so it's nice to have options :)