possible future home - Not gonna happen

Chuck, I have asked my self if I want to take on the project at age 74 but I look to Carol Reed and she was older with her health problem she went ahead and persued her dreams. I don't have the health issues she was faced with. I wont be doing all of the work my self but will only need to do the planning and hire someone for the execution for the most part. I am very good at planning and supervising...lol
I might have considered your project at 70, but I'll be 80 in 2 weeks... just not sure I have the energy any more.... I have an acre+ to mow here and sometimes it's more than I can do in a day and with the rain we've had grass grows much too fast. Plus my yard is flat in the front, but the back and side yards are all on a fairly steep incline... 15 years ago when we bought the place, I had no problems doing the mowing.

Health wise, I'm good, no concerns, except a little hypertension and slightly diabetic (according to my doctor... my blood sugar tests are almost always around the norms... last A1C was under 6.

I might have considered your project at 70, but I'll be 80 in 2 weeks... just not sure I have the energy any more.... I have an acre+ to mow here and sometimes it's more than I can do in a day and with the rain we've had grass grows much too fast. Plus my yard is flat in the front, but the back and side yards are all on a fairly steep incline... 15 years ago when we bought the place, I had no problems doing the mowing.

Health wise, I'm good, no concerns, except a little hypertension and slightly diabetic (according to my doctor... my blood sugar tests are almost always around the norms... last A1C was under 6.
No lawn to mow.....lol I'll just turn a few cows loose.

So after spending the morning and putting stuff into sketch and spending time with Google earth pro and comparing measurements taken to google earth here is what it looks like.
Chanbers Property 1.jpg
according to google earth
The distance from the pump house to the pond is 377 ft. from the pond to the guest house is 335 and from the pond to the Guest Hogan is 308
So it about 2 football fields long by one football field wide. Glad I got the side by side...lol.
The pump house sits at 5865 feet with the water tanks on a slight hill at 5863 feet.
the pond is at 5850 feet
the Guest Hogan is at 5841 feet
To my eye the elevations seemed to be a little more and walking the property it seemed a bit steeper but maybe that cause I am an old man.

The building sizes are as follows
Shop 2000 ft.sq.
Main Building 1050
Large Hogan 530
Guest Hogan 320
Guest house 440
Medium Hogan 245
Small Hogan 76
Bath house 180

The bath house is 12x15 and has a toilet sink and tub
The main building is a kitchen entrance hall laundry and bedroom.
I would move the laundry to the bath house and convert the laundry by taking out the tub and installing a shower stall. That would give me two baths right away.
Down stream I could add 1/2 baths and possibly 3/4 bath to the other Hogans over time.
The small Hogan I would use as my office.

Last edited:
another thought on the second septic down by the Guest Hogan I could easily put in a RV dump drain and park my 5th wheel there.
We've talked about having a couple of RV parking spots setup eventually for family/friends to park at, so will size the new septic to include capacity for those.

Was this some sort of commune or something at one point with all the hogans and guest cottages?
Nice thing is with the accomodation you can probably expect company fairly frequently!

Was this some sort of commune or something at one point with all the hogans and guest cottages?
Nice thing is with the accomodation you can probably expect company fairly frequently!
It was originally built in 1931 and was on the old route 66. Some time It was called the Navajo Indian Trading post. The old picture on the realtor page show that it was used as a stop for that. They may have used some of the Hogan as guest lodging I believe the shop was used as a garage and who knows there may have been a gas station at one time. The present owner was a school teacher in Sander about 8 miles away and he bought the place as his residence. He has since retired and moved to Cardif by the Sea (in California).
Route 66 was aligned through the town of Chambers in 1926, and some trading posts were established to cater to the travellers.

Surprisingly it does not appears in the Rand McNally road map of 1927. The Arizona State Highway Road Map of 1935 does show it, (7.8 mi. from Navajo and 6 mi. from Sanders); it also shows that Route 66 had been paved by then. Route 66 was later replaced by I-40 in the 1960s but overlapped the old Route 66's alignment. If the road through the property were cleared to the east it would go to 191 in Chambers and intersect right where the Chambers Post office is now.

Brent got me wondering about the route 66 thing since most maps today show that route 66 ran next to I 40 through Chambers but by doing some digging I found that the original 66 did indeed go thought the property but the rout was re aligned. In 1935. So the re alignment must have killed the business tor the Original owners who built the place in 31. I found this map that shows 66 running through the property. The blue part is the road to the property. The black part starts on the property and run over to the Chambers post office. On google maps you can actually se an old bridge that was built for the old route 66.
Old route 66.jpg

on a side note there were a number of pieces both large and small of petrified wood laying around, I would have liked to have had my side by side with me to further explore the property. Also someone had collected a number of shards from old pottery that would have dated back to the Native Americans It would have been a great project for Dave to play with and see what he could come up with. One could spend their time just exploring the 80 acres and I am sure reclaim a lot of American history. I think it would be fund to actually own a piece of American history.

After your description post-visit I am more convinced than ever it would be a great place for me. But there's this thing about not being able to make such a decision by myself. :doh:It would be fun to own a small piece of history!

Does the property come with oil/mineral rights? I always hear stories about people ending up with an oil pump in their front yard, or someone mining copper from the back forty.

If I were only 40 years younger. :unsure: Not sure what size of towns Chambers and Sanders are, but possibly use a renovated Hogan to rent out to a young couple at a great discount in exchange for labor they can spend some evening and weekend time to help with updating in between their day jobs. I always love the concept of barter.