possible future home - Not gonna happen

Don Baer

Staff member
I am looking at relocating and have been checking out properties in the north Eastern part of Arizona. This is one possible place. I'll be driving up next week to see it in person. It even has a shop.

Cool! Looks like an ex hippie commune!
Looks like a power pole with a transformer on it? So it has power? That's a nice bonus.

Road in looks pretty flat so that's nice. About 0.6 miles from the freeway as the crow flies but there's a fair bit of a bank on that side of the freeway and you're in a bit of a hollow on the otherside so probably not to terrible for road noise. I'd stay on good terms with the folks who's place you drive through on the way in.... Looks like there's still bridges, etc..on the abandoned road back towards Chambers but would need a few hours with a chainsaw to get the trees out of the way.

Be real curious about the details on the water situation there. There's a pretty good hill and some decent seasonal washes behind you but I don't really know enough about the ground water in that higher country to be super informed.

I know I've driven past that place more than once but it looks like a lot of other desert hah.

That's a pretty decent price for that much acreage, but it looks like a lot of the buildings could use some TLC. The cracks in the stone walls of the shop building indicate foundation settlement.
Cool! Looks like an ex hippie commune!
Looks like a power pole with a transformer on it? So it has power? That's a nice bonus.
The realtor's page says there's underground electric.

Looks like a nice place. I was looking to see if it's on or off the reservation, just happened to zoom in and found it on google maps. Looks like the road to it goes through the reservation, but it may be in a pocket outside of it/surrounded by it on a few sides.

If you turn off the satellite view you can see the reservation lines around it.

You can see the property lines on Zillow. It does look like from the satellite view that the old highway road to it is abandoned, see a lot of growth growing up in the road. There is a drive/trail that heads south to the outer road of the highway. Looks like that runs through another property there.

Make sure it's not on a historic register with associated restrictions. Looks like there's lots of stone laying around for repairs and new building. Do you really want to spend your retirement making it habitable or are you thinking it's a great location to build something new on? Two 5000 gallon water tanks sounds like rainwater collection? Looks like a young mans project.

In one shot I see what looks like a steam tractor hidden partially by bushes. Do you fill those tanks with well water via steam powered tractor driven pump? I too, see way more TLC than this old body can handle. No AC?, That leaves me out. I can no longer take the heat. I sure like the price though.

Charley

Be real curious about the details on the water situation there. There's a pretty good hill and some decent seasonal washes behind you but I don't really know enough about the ground water in that higher country to be super informed.

It has it's own well and sits right on top of the Coconino Aquifer. The water table in the area is reasonably close to the surface about 250 feet.

I know that it will require some work but as long as it is doable am up for the challenge. The building were built in the 30 but I don't know if there are any restriction that on my list of things to find out. It is off the reservation. I do have a nephew who is an architect and he has volunteer his services should I need them. One of the thing I am considering is having bathrooms added to some of the Hogans if they are large enough. Lots of questions and yes having a manufactured home put on the property is not out of the question.