possible future home - Not gonna happen

It has it's own well and sits right on top of the Coconino Aquifer

Yeah I was kind of wondering if it might have been built near a seep or a spring given the age, although the well water would be safer and more reliable regardless but having a spring would still be pretty cool :)

It is off the reservation

I'm not 100% sure because this is based on some rather loose "the map sure looks like" eyeballing; but it looks like the ingress road *might* cross reservation land; given the complexity around that I'd want to check on the details fairly close before closing the deal. Not a deal killer necessarily but something to double check on what your easement rights for the access road are in that kind of scenario.

I'm not 100% sure because this is based on some rather loose "the map sure looks like" eyeballing; but it looks like the ingress road *might* cross reservation land; given the complexity around that I'd want to check on the details fairly close before closing the deal. Not a deal killer necessarily but something to double check on what your easement rights for the access road are in that kind of scenario.
the access road does require crossing someone elses property and yes that is also on the list.

Road in looks pretty flat so that's nice. About 0.6 miles from the freeway as the crow flies but there's a fair bit of a bank on that side of the freeway and you're in a bit of a hollow on the otherside so probably not to terrible for road noise. I'd stay on good terms with the folks who's place you drive through on the way in.... Looks like there's still bridges, etc..on the abandoned road back towards Chambers but would need a few hours with a chainsaw to get the trees out of the way.

Be real curious about the details on the water situation there. There's a pretty good hill and some decent seasonal washes behind you but I don't really know enough about the ground water in that higher country to be super informed.

I know I've driven past that place more than once but it looks like a lot of other desert hah.
When my wife start saying "let me take a razor and trim the hair on the back of your neck", I know it is time for another buzz job... She is not getting near my throat with a sharp object!!!😳

I am looking at relocating and have been checking out properties in the north Eastern part of Arizona. This is one possible place. I'll be driving up next week to see it in person. It even has a shop.

I am probably wrong but I think this property was used in the Nicholas Cage movie Next. There is a scene where Cage and his co-star Jessica Biel stop so she can visit an Indian settlement where she teaches. The buildings look very similar to those pictured in your real estate listing. Of course I could be imagining this which is not unusual these days.

Looks like an interesting property for sure.

Sorry for the medevac chopper comment. I thought that you were joking about the property:doh:
Seems like a great dream. It's a really cool piece of property but with our advancing age and future health issues I would be a bit nervous about living alone so far from services.

Sorry for the medevac chopper comment. I thought that you were joking about the property:doh:
Seems like a great dream. It's a really cool piece of property but with our advancing age and future health issues I would be a bit nervous about living alone so far from services.
Actually where we live, a lot of people carry air medical service insurance, including us. There are in fact two service providers with overlapping coverage in our area and people often get insurance with both. It is less than $100 per year for each. They are Airlift Northwest and Life Flight. Life Flight generally responds to most needs but Airlift Northwest will also respond if needed. All of this is coordinated by our excellent local emergency rescue service Aero Methow Rescue Service. They provide first responder service in our rural/mountainous area. Very inexpensive investment when you live in a remote area.

I would think that in the area that Don is looking there may be similar services.

Actually where we live, a lot of people carry air medical service insurance, including us. There are in fact two service providers with overlapping coverage in our area and people often get insurance with both. It is less than $100 per year for each. They are Airlift Northwest and Life Flight. Life Flight generally responds to most needs but Airlift Northwest will also respond if needed. All of this is coordinated by our excellent local emergency rescue service Aero Methow Rescue Service. They provide first responder service in our rural/mountainous area. Very inexpensive investment when you live in a remote area.

I would think that in the area that Don is looking there may be similar services.
My Medicare plan includes air ambulance so that is already covered. It certainly is a consideration and if I had any existing health issues I wouldn't be looking to move off grid. There is a lot to be said about moving away from the hustle and bustle of the city to a healthier environment.

Don't know about US, but here, the older one gets the least far away from basic services wants to be. People tend to prefer small villages near bigger towns with good communications in case of need. Obviously, there are no so many open land properties like that, and private air medical services like the ones you and Bill mention are unknown to me. Any air rescue, is taken care by the national health system.

well I have returned from inspecting the property and have to do some thinking. The property it self is heavily over grown but that's to be expected. It is sloped from north to south at a gradual slope which adds to the view. Very quite and while you can barely hear the highway noise it is more like the sound of a breeze blowing through the trees. The road leading into the property is in pretty good shape but the road on the property needs to be graded I wouldn't recommend it for low clearance cars. No big deal but certainly something that would be at the top of the to do list. It is illegal in Arizona to deny access to property. The present owner has been using it for 40 years. He is still looking at having it surveyed and getting an legal easement. His lawyer said it should not be a problem. I would make that a condition of the sale. The well was just been inspected and it is only at 180 feet deep and is rated at 325 G.P.M. so that a plus The septic is also recently inspected. Three of the Hogans have new roofs and I would definitely consider doing two more right away should I go ahead with the deal. Also the three Hogan he has been working on have new door and much of the window trim new. I would do one more right away if I got the property the others could be done on a slower schedule. I am going to get ahold of the contractor who did the roofs and talk to him about the expense. I also would look at adding baths to some of the Hogan, I have all the dimensions. Since the property slopes and some of the building are down hill from the septic I would need to add a second septic to the property but that is also doable and the cost would run about $7k. I am making a punch list and doing some sketches and utilizing the services of my nephew who is an architect I will have a good Idea of just what I an faced with the property is habitable but I would want to make improvement to make it more comfortable. The work shop is huge 40 x40 with beams and posts that are easily 12 inches in diameter. and not in as bad a shape as I expected. Some of the weaker older beams have been reinforced. Most of the floor is dirt but the owner did put a concrete slab along one wall about six feet from the wall so the beer refrigerators and work bench are all 3 of 4 inches above the dirt floor. Again I would want to do work to it but it certainly is usable as is. All in all I think I am inclined to consider it a good prospect. I'll but up a proper layout of the building with dimension.
For the hunters out there there was a lot of tracks and poop from both deer and elk and the real estate agent said that just last week when he was up showing the property he spotted 3 elk walking across the property. I property is located in one of the sought-after area for hunter to get drawn for game.
All in all I will be getting fairly busy soon with Medicare open enrollment so If the property doesn't sell soon I should be able to make an offer right after the first of the year. The agent says he gets about one showing every coupla week but so far no offers it been on the market several months. The present owner is in California so he isn't in a special hurry to sell. He comes over for a few weeks and tinkers over so often. We will see. It might be sold by then but if not well then it was ment to be.

Thanks for the update. Glade you got a chance to look it over...doesn't sound too bad. May a grinder pump would serve instead of another septic system?
A grinder pump is a possibility but I tend to favor gravity when it comes to handling this kinda stuff since we all know that it flows down hill...lol. I am getting a topo map and doing a layout of the building. At least 3 if not four building would need pumps and two of them are a fair distance. while there is an ideal location to locate on on a lower part of the property. Keep in mind these buildings are shattered. Also the agent did mention that the present owner only has the single toilet hooked up to the present septic and I don yet know it capacity, I will be talking to the septic company about that and the location of the leach field. The most prudent way to got would be to have two septic systems. Again one more things to consider.
One thing the agent did mention which is in my favor is this has to be a cash only deal as there are no permits on any of the building so a banks would only loan on the value to the land. So the best anyone could hope for at todays market would be around $100 k. I already told the agent that if I did the deal it would be a cash deal. So this property will need to go to that one special person with the cash who wants the property for it aesthetic value and not the value of the land.

Don,

What is the local tribes policy on recreational use of the reservation? I know around here that the Paiutes are pretty protective of their land and don't allow anyone (who isn't a member of the tribe) to go 4 wheeling, dirt biking, hunting, etc. on their land and have pretty stiff penalties if caught.

I've heard stories of side by sides being confiscated and such.

They do let folks fish and recreate on pyramid lake, but charge a daily use pass for that sort of thing.

Might be something to check out.

Last edited:
like the state of Arizona the Navaho Nation requires an off roading permit that you can purchase annually and they do publish maps as to where you can go they are concerned with your not desecrating sacred grounds and I certainly would go ahead and abide by there wishes. To get the permit I would need to contact the Nava parks and recreation department. I also have to be careful about carrying a weapon since my carried concealed permit does not work on reservation land and hunting is also by permit only from the Navaho fish and Game.

A grinder pump is a possibility but I tend to favor gravity when it comes to handling this kinda stuff since we all know that it flows down hill...lol. I am getting a topo map and doing a layout of the building. At least 3 if not four building would need pumps and two of them are a fair distance. while there is an ideal location to locate on on a lower part of the property. Keep in mind these buildings are shattered. Also the agent did mention that the present owner only has the single toilet hooked up to the present septic and I don yet know it capacity, I will be talking to the septic company about that and the location of the leach field. The most prudent way to got would be to have two septic systems. Again one more things to consider.
One thing the agent did mention which is in my favor is this has to be a cash only deal as there are no permits on any of the building so a banks would only loan on the value to the land. So the best anyone could hope for at todays market would be around $100 k. I already told the agent that if I did the deal it would be a cash deal. So this property will need to go to that one special person with the cash who wants the property for it aesthetic value and not the value of the land.
You might check with the county on the septic to see if a perk test was done for the property at some point. At the farm there aren't any permits required by the county, but the state requires a permit and perk test for the septic and has for a long time. Also keep in mind that you're over an aquifer, so they may be a bit more strict on the type of system you can use to keep from contaminating it.

For topo maps, give Google Earth Pro (free) a try. You can get a lot of info on elevations just hovering the map with the mouse.
GE1.PNG

There are also tools to add paths and see the elevation changes in a scale between two points or more. I know your nephew will probably be able to give you a good topo, but can allow you to browse property a bit before driving out to look at it. Use a wheel mouse and zoom in to a point that the view changes to ground elevation. Buildings will only be images on the ground, but can give you an idea of the view on the ground.
GE2.PNG

You might check with the county on the septic to see if a perk test was done for the property at some point. At the farm there aren't any permits required by the county, but the state requires a permit and perk test for the septic and has for a long time. Also keep in mind that you're over an aquifer, so they may be a bit more strict on the type of system you can use to keep from contaminating it.
Yes I am aware of the perk test and that's why I want to speak to the septic people first as I am hoping they have the whole history of the septic and they would be the ones who had done the perk testing. Lots to look at but then again I got time.

Chuck, I have asked my self if I want to take on the project at age 74 but I look to Carol Reed and she was older with her health problem she went ahead and persued her dreams. I don't have the health issues she was faced with. I wont be doing all of the work my self but will only need to do the planning and hire someone for the execution for the most part. I am very good at planning and supervising...lol