Pricing my Record Crate Project

Unless having these able to knock down and re-assemble is a big part of their allure I would look to confirmat screws over the barrel nuts.
P.s. I haven't seen that overarm guard for awhile. That made it to you by way of Carol IIRC. Glad to see it still giving good service (y)

Interesting point on the confirmat screws. I'll have to take a look. That would make assembly a lot easier. Looking back on it, I guess I thought that the barrel nuts would add more 'strength', but having put a few of these togther, the tabs and slots really fit well, and it takes a bit of a knock with a fist to get them apart anyway. I'll take a look at the confirmat screws. Even regular screws might work ok now that you mention it.

The main reason for the knock down hardware is to be able to ship them flat. Shipping them assembled is a bit more troublesome. I think you're right, I can't see anyone really taking them apart once they are put together.

Love that overarm guard. When I'm ripping ply, it really seems to keep a lot of dust out of the air and off the ground.

Last edited:
I like that confirmat screw idea so much I just ordered a bunch, lol.

I'm in the process this morning of design a version of the crate for CD's, so will have an opportunity to test them out soon.

Can you pre-drill and ship flat 'ready to assemble'? You get the cheaper screw AND the cheaper freight.
That's what I've been doing. Recently shipped a couple all the way across the country for about 9$. Box is 12x9x3 and almost 4#.

I used 'Pirate Ship' to print my usps labels and for whatever reason, that was at a supposedly 59% discount over retail. Other things I've shipped recently through them didn't have near that kind of discount, but still, cheaper than the post office click and ship.

https://www.pirateship.com/

If setting up a price on such item is difficult, then imagine how difficult is to calculate the time devoted to ideating and designing a piece and then add it to the price. And yes, we tend to under rate our work.

I had a need to organize some cd's, so used it as an opportunity to scale my design for cds. The one on top is the first prototype adn the the sides were a little off.

I used some of the ideas you guys provided

1) Changed the way the bottom fits in so that it protrudes just a little bit on the bottom so that the boxes interlock when stacked (Thanks Darren)
2) switched to using the confirmat screws.
Bought a bunch of the confirmat screws from McFeely's along with a special counter sink. Worked like a treat.
Made the hole drilling a lot easier and the screws worked great.

cd boxes.jpg