Prime Rib Gloat

Don Baer

Staff member
So I went to the local Safeway store to do my weekly shopping and look what followed me home..
20221222_130547.jpg

with a digital coupon I got it for $3.97/lb. so I paid $66.70 or saved $160. My wives siblings are coming up for our annual Holiday right after new years. My BIL normally brings the prime rib and I furnish the scotch but I called him and this year he's bringing the scotch. I'll cut a 6 lbs roast off of it and then cut the rest into steaks for me.

Looks good... I would rather have a chunk of prime rib than a steak.

For what it's worth, I would have sealed all that in my food saver... sucked the air out and it will keep longer.
We tend to buy meats in bulk and I put it up that way... I'll buy a pork tenderloin, cut it up into chops and seal up in my food saver.

Last edited:
Food saver addict here. Just about any meat on sale in bulk gets portioned up, with seasonings where appropriate, and vacuum packed. Pull out a package and right into the sous-vide tank or InstantPot…right from frozen. I’m saving up for a chamber vac, but a regular food saver type gets the job done … even liquids with the right techniques.

Nice hunk o' meat, Don. :thumb:

Add me to the Foodsaver fan club. I use mine a lot more than I thought I would. LOML doesn't eat much meat, but I still buy bulk packs on sale and freeze stuff for the future. (My future, lol.) Same thing with some leftovers. My local Walmart Neighborhood Market (we call it Walmarket) had frozen bone-in turkey breasts on sale after Thanksgiving for 50 cents a pound. That'll make a lot of meals for $5.00. I don't have the freezer space for a full turkey breast, so I cooked it a few days ago and had a couple of meals out of it. Last night I sealed and froze the leftover meat in two separate packages, and will get at least another 4 meals out of it. I also like buying family packs of steaks, then seasoning them with various rubs before vacuum packing and freezing them. They last well over a year in the freezer once they're sealed with the Foodsaver.

I love my food saver. I always double seal though. I found that a single seal wouldn't hold. I get a lot less bad seals double sealing. I roll the end of the bag down to keep anything from getting on the area that gets the heat seal. also fold a paper towel and place it in the bag in front of the food to catch the juices before they get to the seal. I've had stuff frozen for three years that tasted as fresh as the day I bought it.

I get my bag rolls here: