Printing Questions

Bill Arnold

Staff member
When I print a scale drawing for a bandsaw pattern, SU consistently covers more pages than necessary. Example: I print a pattern that is 19" long on letter size paper in landscape mode that should easily fit on two sheets of paper. No matter what I do, it centers the drawing across three sheets, with a small amount on sheets one and three. ???

Another issue (that I found a workaround on the SU Forum) is in Print Preview. When going to PP after setting up a scene, there is no dialog in the blocks. The workaround is exiting to Printer Setup, choose a different printer, to back to Preview, fill in the dialog as needed, choose the desired printer, then Print.

Part of my problem might be that I'm still using SU2017 - really not interested in doing everything online.

Hi Bill,

First, the second thing. The blank fields seems to be tied to issues with some print drivers but as you say, going through Print Preview and doing an initial preview before doing the setup will generally get around it.

Now, as to your first thing, resize the SketchUp window to be closer to the shape of the part before you set up to print. In the example image here I've got a shape that is 19 in. long and 3-5/8 wide (tall). I went into Page Setup and set the paper for landscape and made the SketchUp window long and narrow. As you can see in the Print Preview window, it'll print on two sheets.
Screenshot - 2_11_2023 , 8_04_48 PM.png

Drag the edges of the screen so that the model window space has the same shape and aspect ratio of the paper you want to print on. If you want to print on Letter size paper in the portrait orientation, make the model window narrower than it is tall as below.
Screenshot - 3_13_2023 , 7_27_40 AM.png

Screenshot - 3_13_2023 , 7_27_57 AM.png