Procrastination Bowl

Ted Calver

Staff member
Ten years ago one of my neighbors took down a couple of big tulip poplars and their tree service was happy to give me several of the logs. I let them sit for a year(s) or so and they spalted nicely, but got a bit punky. I rough turned a couple of large blanks and put them up in the attic for a couple more years. Dragged them down after a few years and put one on the lathe. It had a lot of cracks that got filled with super glue and I started to finish it but the punky wood and LOS (lack of skills) made it difficult to get a clean cut. I put some wood hardener on it and that helped, but I kind of lost interest. It's been chucked up, occupying one of my two chucks, and sitting on the lathe for the last couple of years while I pursued other interests. Recently it got sidelined so I could turn gnomes and other projects. Finally tired of changing chuck jaws and needing my other chuck back, I spent the last two days finishing the procrastination bowl. Refined the shape, superglued lots of cracks, sanded off the lathe with a lot of help from my curved StewMac scraper. Finish is Doctor's Woodshop walnut oil topped off with a 5:1 mix of walnut oil and beeswax. Roughly 19" x 7".

IMG_7712.jpegIMG_7690.jpeg,

Reversed and ready for the vacuum chuck to finish the bottom. I was surprised at the holding power, but kept the tail stock engaged as long as possible, just in case.

IMG_8089.jpegIMG_8090.jpeg,

IMG_8091.jpeg,IMG_8096.jpg ,

IMG_8119.jpeg,IMG_8135.jpeg ,
IMG_8137.jpg

Holds approximately 5 gallons.

IMG_8141.jpg

I'm gonna be breaking out the big chainsaw in a couple of days or so and cutting some of the hackberry I got in just before Christmas. Then we will see what comes of it. This hackberry has the potential to give your bowl a run for the money. But, time will tell. Just curious. Are we starting "The War of the Big Bowls"?

I'm gonna be breaking out the big chainsaw in a couple of days or so and cutting some of the hackberry I got in just before Christmas. Then we will see what comes of it. This hackberry has the potential to give your bowl a run for the money. But, time will tell. Just curious. Are we starting "The War of the Big Bowls"?
No war 'cause nobody likes big bowls. I just turn 'em 'cause I can't see those little bitty bowls anymore. :rofl: There will be another biggun coming to the channel real soon though. Shear scraped the bottom into submission today. Tomorrow I'll get after the inside....then maybe we'll talk some friendly war:beer:

Even though my lathe claimed capable of up to 29", biggest I ever turn is about 13 inches... clearance of the head stock over the ways is 14".. the headstock used to turn for me so I could do other sizes... that has stopped as I suspect the turn mechanism has frozen due to either age or rust. (my lathe is about 14 years ol,d) . can't see it but it won't turn any more. Plus the tool rest extension is a little wonky and I don't trust it fully. (Not going to join your bowl wars.)