Project Completed - Reindeer

Paul Douglass

finally completed these yesterday. These are a Sheila Landry design. Easy to cut, lots of sanding and most difficult of all for me was getting them attached to the rockers. They are made of cherry and there is a very small gluing area (just at the small hooves). I use Titebond, nope, epoxy, nope, Clear Gorilla glue nope and CA glue. What finally worked was the combination of Gorilla Glue and CA glue. A second problem with the gluing there was no way to clamp them with the clamps I have. I had to dream up ways to use weights. The one with the held up leg, I had to use pins along with gluing. May have to go back and add pins to the other, they are fragile. They are around 6" long and 6" high.

reindeer.jpg

Wow, that's a lot of sanding indeed. Looks like it was worth the effort though, because they came out beautifully. :thumb: Great work, Paul!

Wow those are something! Lovely curves and the carving on the rockers really sets them out.

For the glue up, I think I might have indexed from the bottom and just pushed small brass pins all the way through with epoxy? Getting those feet to stick by themselves does look really hard :eek: The other trick I've used for gluing some odd shapes (and mostly splinters truth be told..) in place is electricians tape has just enough spring to pull things down a smidge and doesn't generally seem to leave a lot of residue (if you remove it in a day or so). Not sure that would have helped here because of the problem of keeping alignment though...