PSA - Floor Planer Maintenance

glenn bradley

I have had an item on my shop white board for months to take a moment and check the fluid levels on my planer. That item finally rose to the top of the list. :) I am just posting this for any of us who have been equally negligent. A little oil and grease is way easier than a rebuild. This method is true for so many clones out there in the 15" and larger sizes. It literally took 3 paper towels and 10 minutes of my time.

A few drops of oil.
G0543Z Maint 2023 (1).jpg
Don't forget to check the gear box.
G0543Z Maint 2023 (2).jpg
Mine famously leaks and has since 2010. The leakage is so little that I have never felt the need to tear it down and redo the poor quality gasket . . . and I am pretty picky about these things.
G0543Z Maint 2023 (3).jpg
I use a scrap of card stock inside a plastic bag to track my "maintenance schedule" ;)
G0543Z Maint 2023 (4).jpg
There is a magnet taped inside the bag.
G0543Z Maint 2023 (5).jpg
The bag sticks here, out of sight and danger.
G0543Z Maint 2023 (6).jpg
I sometimes forget it is there. It has only been in use for the last 13 years :D. At any rate . . . Take a moment between cups of coffee this morning and check your planer. We now return you to your regularly scheduled Tik-Tok videos.

Interestingly my Hammer A3 doesn't have an actual gear box but a chain drive.. well several chain drives. I noticed a bit of a "thunking" noise earlier this year and on removing the covers found the original grease had somewhat hardened and it was twanging a tensioner on the way past one round. I cleaned that off and replaced it with white lithium grease and it's .. well. smoother now anyway :).