Purple Sycamore Bowl

Vaughn McMillan

Administrator
Staff member
I think this is the first decent-sized bowl I've turned in about 8 or 9 years. This was from a sycamore tree some good friends (Ron and Renee) had removed a few years ago, and I'm going to give it to them as a thank you for giving me a load of turning wood. It's about 4" tall and 11 1/4" wide. The wood was pretty plain, and since Renee's favorite color is purple, I decided to add some color. I initially dyed the outside a fairly dark purple/burgundy color, but didn't like the way it looked, so I sanded most of the color off. I ended up spraying the outside with "color changing" iridescent acrylic paint. It changes from purple to yellow/gold depending on how the light hits it. Pretty cool stuff IMO, and I suspect I'll be trying some other colors as I turn more of this sycamore. I know some folks don't like coloring wood, but I do, and I'm pretty confident Renee will love the way this one came out.

The inside got three light coats of Formby's Tung Oil Finish (wipe-on varnish with a marketing name, lol), sanded between coats with 600 grit and then 3-wheel buffed and then waxed with Renaissance Wax. It's as smooth and shiny as a grand piano. :) The acrylic paint on the outside leaves a comparatively rough surface, and I like the contrast in the feel between the outside and the inside. Critiques and comments are welcome as always!

VM%201050%2003%20-%201024.jpg

VM%201050%2002%20-%201024.jpg

VM%201050%2001%20-%201024.jpg

VM%201050%2005%20-%201024.jpg

Dig it, great form. I think the visual texture also works really well.

I know I've said before that I'm not generally a fan of coloring wood, but I gotta say that your stuff has been fairly instrumental in bringing me around to changing my mind to a large degree on that count. This piece is no exception, I think it's largely how you keep it "still wood with enhancements".

Love it! Great shape, crisp edges, nice use of color to liven up the action... and great picture. I would never have guessed that you would choose purple:D:thumb::thumb: