Push-To-Open Drawer Slide Questions

Vaughn McMillan

Administrator
Staff member
I'm trying to wrap my head around the drawer slides I bought for my neighbor's Land Cruiser toolbox. I went with push-to-open slides, as I figure that'll eliminate the need for latches. (Plus, that's what I was able to find in stock in a 22" length at either Lowe's or Home Depot.) I've never built anything with drawer slides, so I'm a complete newb at this. Can any of you experienced cabinet guys help me decipher the instructions? (Click here to see the instruction PDF file)

I understand that I need 1/2" clearance on each side, and a minimum of 1/8" clearance on the top of the bottom. What I can't figure out is what the Nominal Length and Carcase [SP] Depth dimensions shown on page 4 of the instructions needs to be. Any suggestions?

vaughn it doesnt say the number on that does it but what i have done is lay the slide on the drawer and it should be the length of the drawer or close to it not longer unless your cavity is deeper so if the drawer is 22" deep then you the hole for it needs to be approximately 1/2" deeper

Thanks, Larry. I was planning to base the drawer length on the slides. So I'm guessing if I make the overall length of the drawer box 22" (outside dimensions, not including the drawer front) it should work? And taking into account the thickness of the drawer front (5/8") it seems that the depth of the cavity should be 22" + 5/8" + about another 1/2" for wiggle room. Does that seem about right?

also to simplify the installation of them on the carcass sides is a piece of scrap ply cut to the width of the height they need to be lay them on top and screw away
Yeah, that's what I'd been thinking. Glad to see I was on the right track there.