Puzzle Chair

Don Baer

Staff member
Back in 2009 a gentleman named Jiggs introduced us to a project called a puzzle Chair. He only had templates of it and I offered to do a sketchup drawing of it. He sent me one of the chairs and I did a thread where I included the skp files as well as jpg of the chair. Now that open enrollment is winding down I have decided that one of the first new project I will do will be to convert my skp drawing to a Fusion project and to make a few of these chairs on the CNC so this will serve s a placeholder for now til next week when I can get started on the project, Oh and here is what the chair looks like..

Attachments

• 1606868830107.png
    1606868830107.png
    692.8 KB · Views: 31
I also got to work on the chair, the first thing to do was to get the original drawing into Fusion. Fusion will import skp files and with a little fiddling I was able to lead them in. Here are jpegs of the files I had to work with. There are 4 drawing, Seat, back, side and one with the support across the front and the key that hold it all in place.
The  seat (1).jpgBack.jpgBracket and Key.jpgSide.jpg

once I got them into fusion I went ahead and corrected a few errors on the drawings and arranged the pieces to I could get all the part on a single sheet. Here are the parts layed out to fit on a 1/3 sheet of 1/2" plywood. I may play with this and see if I can get it to fit on 1/4 sheet something that would be nice if I wanted to do a production run of these.
1607269959989.png
I added the Teddy bears just to add a little class it could be hearts of any other shape. Maybe individualize them by carving the kids name in the back

well I ran the parts....
20201212_133048.jpg20201213_163140.jpg20201213_164734.jpg
When I did the sides with the cross brace I felt the clearances were too loose so I went back and remade the cross brace and tightened up the clearances on it along with the back and the seat. Now it just a skosh too tight so I'll need to do a bit of sanding to get things to go together. Not a big deal. I'll adjust the clearances one more time before I make another. I need to get some better plywood for the next one, this is just some stuff I had laying around. I'll sand it this week and post a picture when it is assembled.