pvc pipe bird

Decoy's won't protect koi ponds from owls. Our koi were disappearing, looked out at dawn one morning, low & behold an owl in the water. On another forum guy was having the same problem and set up a trail cam. He posted a picture of an owl flying off with a koi in it's talons.

Cool PVC birds. Looks like an add for the winter shop list.

Decoy's won't protect koi ponds from owls. Our koi were disappearing, looked out at dawn one morning, low & behold an owl in the water...

No owls (so far), but I've had blue herons visit - and pretty much decimate - my koi population. Tried using decoys - both a plastic heron and a floating gator head (at different times) - but they didn't help.

Vietnamese neighbor has some beautiful koi and had a lot of trouble with herons, raccoons etc. First they built a big cage out of chain link fence pipe over the pond and covered it with deer fence, then after they realized how bad it looked, they repurposed the cage as a garden arbor. Their end solution was to put some kind of wire mesh fencing just below the top of the water over the entire pond. That seemed to work, although I'm not sure if the fish liked it.

I like the idea of the PVC birds, but I think I'm gonna start with something a bit easier.

I'm thinking PVC snake. A very straight snake. Hollow. And probably albino white. :rofl:

tried to make a penguin for my dil, she has a thing for penguins, came out ok I guess, need to respray some white paint in front. and a few more colorful ones, ok, no more pics after these.

Attachments

• pvcfamily 002.jpg
    pvcfamily 002.jpg
    151.5 KB · Views: 36
  • pvcbirds1020 002.jpg
    pvcbirds1020 002.jpg
    53.6 KB · Views: 38
  • pvcbirds1020 001.jpg
    pvcbirds1020 001.jpg
    74.5 KB · Views: 35
i know I said no more, but this is so much fun, addicting like making bandsaw reindeer or snowflakes

made this pvc toucan and hung him up outside until someone takes him(as in claims him, not steals him), really is fun, figuring out the pattern then shaping them.

Attachments

• toucan 006.jpg
    toucan 006.jpg
    57.7 KB · Views: 39
still cant get the printing off the bottom of the pvc...all the letters and whatever, tried mineral spirits, acetone, and kerosene.
I use the opposite side with printing, but I have to spray extra coats and darker coats to hide it, does anyone know how to remove the print on pvc without marring the pipe?