pvc pipe bird

the black print on the 3 inch pipe came down to a light grey with acetone and steel wool did not come off.
light grey print on the 4 inch pipe, nothing, nada, didnt come off with acetone and steel wool.

I put a 220 grit sanding pad and sanded off the numbers, very lightly, didnt seem to mess up shape of pipe, but I want to see when I spray paint this one, if the paint adheres differently.

I can deal with the light grey shades, I can paint over it with any color and by second coat it should be covered.

Are you using DWV pipe for these? If so, there is a thinner version, like they use for dust collection, that should be considerably cheaper.
In my Lowes this thinner version is on the opposite side of the rack from the DWV class pipe (next aisle). If you don't find it ask the clerk where the thin wall version is. It's used for non sanitary drainage like gutter drains under ground to the storm sewer. I really like those birds that you are making, and if I get all of my other projects caught up, I may try making a few of these. Have you tried lacquer thinner on the writing?

Glad that the Docs have let you back in your shop. We "creators" tend to get very anxious and stressed when we can't create. You appear to be doing fine now.

Charley

tried thinner, and acetone, it rubs off a bit, but didnt find it getting the print completely off and if I spray it a light color it wasnt covering enough on 2-3 coats.

have not seen any thinner pipe, not a real hassle using the standard pvc piping, not sure about ratings and all that, to me, its just white pvc pipe. (220 rated I believe)

I dont know about thinner pipe and its strength. I do know using 2.5-4 inch pipe(and as the piping goes up in diameter, it gets a bit thicker), what I purchase in home depot, I dont worry about any of them breaking, and Ive had them out in 40 mph winds, and can lift them by the necks or legs.

I pay 20.64 for a 10 foot section. out of that, I can get 6 ornaments. up to 8 if I dont make them as large. (39 inches per bird) several other versions, like a duck or woodpecker, are under 24 inches.

that brings it down to 3.50 per bird for piping. 1.58 for paver. one cent each for eyes. and I can spray 4-5 birds with one can of 4.00 spray paint.(2 coats each with touch ups)

I use tapcon anchors into the pavers, dont recall what they cost, Im guessing around 20-25 cents each? I estimated I can make each bird for approx 7 dollars maybe a bit less.

and ofcourse, blades cost money, I think I pay 11 bucks for a 3 pack of blades, but I can get 15 to 20 birds out of each blade.

and I also estimate total time devoted is approx 2 hours for one bird from start to finish, but I usually make them 4-6 at a time.

IM currently making all flamingo style, Im dropping off one on the driveways of nurses in my area who work in the hospitals as a thankyou. I know it isnt much, but I figured it might bring a tiny smile to their face.

Im dropping 2-3 off tuesday, to see how they are received . Ill take it from there.

You are the man. Thought I had posted then saw it still in the thread box, evidently didn't hit the "post reply" button. Allen, you are something else (in a great way!), good for you for knowing who is who and recognizing them with a very nice gift. Way to go!!!!!!! 👍 👍 👍

I'm surprised you don't have people knocking on your door to get those. they really do look great!

oh, people stop when we are out front sitting, in cars, walking their dogs, sometimes I have 10 out there, not to mention the 3 I mounted out on the tree near the street.
do you sell them, what do you make them out of, you sure you dont want to sell one, how long does it take you to make them, where do you get the materials, people ask all the question.
I taught my friend bob who lives 20 minutes from me, he loves making them now that hes retired.
Another neighbor down the street, when this virus lockdown is over, he wants to learn also.
the way I look at it, if it brings a smile to their face, Id rather give them one if I know them or if they are related to someone I know.
I have to mount 4 tomorrow onto pavers, they are ready to go, Ill deliver 3 of them thursday or friday depending on weather.