pvc pipe bird

allen levine

didnt know where to put it.
while travelling down south, came across a store that had a few lawn ornaments and there were a couple of birds(egrots I believe), made out of 4 inch pvc pipe

I looked up online what I could, found a video, although no measurements, but gave it a try today.

built a small holder, laid the pipe into it, after making a template rubber banded the template to the pipe, used a sharpie to trace, then cut with jig saw.

used a heat gun to soften plastic enough to bend, this was my first attempt, this is finished product.

pipe was in bad shape to begin with, so no white birds for me, added some color. cut another one out of other side of pipe, will try again tomorrow.I need to pick up some googly eyes, whatever you call those little eyes for arts and crafts. Too tired today
also, bases will be the inexpensive pavers from home depot, I saw for 1.29, I have alot of tapcon screws, Ill paint the heads black.

Attachments

• 2019summer 212.jpg
    2019summer 212.jpg
    151 KB · Views: 92
  • 2019summer 208.jpg
    2019summer 208.jpg
    138.3 KB · Views: 97
  • 2019summer 207.jpg
    2019summer 207.jpg
    78.9 KB · Views: 93
  • 2019summer 206.jpg
    2019summer 206.jpg
    96.3 KB · Views: 87
Last edited:
First of all, Allen. I find that ingenious. Second, best looking usage of some old pvc pipe I've seen in a long time. Great idea, good looking, and nothing wrong with some re-purposing!

I tried to get cute and use the underside, the cutoff side of the pipe and make another one today, cutting and shaping was great. used neon pink paint to make flamingo but paint didnt cover the writing as I thought it would. tried several coats, then sprayed blue over it, then tried to fix it up with more pink....eh....next time I use the underside with the writing on it(I tried sanding it off, I didnt want to ruin the shape)Ill make sure the think is sprayed a dark color. Ill try to fix it up with some touch up in the morning. I also used martha stewart spray paint, wont make that mistake again, doesnt seem to adhere and not run as well as krylon or rustoleum.

this type of project is to keep me occupied until the surgeon sets a date. Once the knee gets put on, I hope to be back to furniture again.

Last edited:
2 finished, 1.60 per paver, not so bad.
wiggly eyes were 2.99 for around 100 or so in a bag.
I figure I can get 6 out of a 10 foot length of pipe, the pipe runs 21 bucks in local Home depot. cost me under 7 dollars to make with bolts and paint, 2.5 hours for each timewise, but if I group and do same operations at once, Im sure I can cut 30 minutes off of each one.
not thinking about selling them, but they go anywhere from 30-50 bucks each on etsy, might be a good item for some of the craft fairs guys here. just sayin.(anyone with talent, something I lack, or an artistic eye can make all shapes and sizes, maybe even know something about coloring them )

Attachments

• pvcbirds 004.jpg
    pvcbirds 004.jpg
    101.5 KB · Views: 44
  • pvcbirds 001.jpg
    pvcbirds 001.jpg
    115.4 KB · Views: 35
Looking good!

I think what you want is called "Plastic rated paint" like Krylon Fusion, rustoleum also has a plastic primer "Rust-Oleum 209460 Plastic Primer Spray" that might help... but the Fusion stuff claims you don't need it.

I've also seen folks say lightly sand first, then wipe with acetone (and let dry) to improve adhesion.

Id guess after the monsoons they are expecting here this week Ill know how well the paint holds.
fusion is my preferred brand.
the paints Ive used state indoor outdoor bonds to plastic.
Im still learning, Ill be a bit more careful with the next ones Im starting on.

I'm way too cheap to buy a pattern but if you find any and want to share

Them I'd be mighty thankful

I cut 3 out today it's torture on the back the bending over

I'm going to try a toucan with my next piece of pipe I purchase

I've gotten a bunch of requests for purchase but I'll end up making them for any friend or relative that asks for no charge

Last edited: