PVC trim / shutter project

Darren Wright

Administrator
Staff member
So SWMBO has requested to put the interior shutters on our dining room windows. It's 3 windows actually, 2 casements and one that is stationary.
2019-04-11 17.25.25.jpg

We had a blind company quote doing custom shutters and that came back to the tune of about $1000. :eek: So after a little shopping, I found some plantation shutter kits for $80 a set, but I'll need to build the frame for them to hang on as there really isn't a good structure with the replacement windows we have in our house.
2019-04-11 17.25.42.jpg

Here is the frame design I've come up with. I'll be removing the existing casing around the window, the frame will be the same outer dimensions as the existing casing and attach in its place, then the casing will be re-installed over the frame to trim it out.
shutterframe.jpg

The center supports will have some strong back braces added to prevent flex.

I'm looking to use the pvc trim to match the shutters, which are also made from pvc. I'm wondering if there is a way to dye the material vs painting it? There isn't much clearance in between the shutter flaps and their frame, so I think it would flake/peel. She'd like to go with more of a tan color. If not I'll probably leave all the PVC white since the replacement windows are also white, so not a big deal.

I'm glad you finally found a home improvement project to do, Darren. You've been sitting around doing nothing for what, like about 15 minutes, right? :rofl:

Man, your wife is making sure no moss grows under you, huh? :D

I've never gotten dyes to 'take' on vinyl. You may need to paint it instead. If you do that, be aware that vinyl expands and contracts much more than some woods.

Well, just getting back to this project. I bought trim and almost assembled it once, then realized that the two outside shutter sets needed to be closer to the middle in order for the windows latch to open/close.

Tonight I got the parts cut, glued/pocket screwed together. I added some strongbacks to the two narrow pieces to stiffen them. I still need to put some glue blocks top and bottom of them to re-enforce the joints. There will also be some blocks added for the magnetic catches top/bottom of each opening to hold the shutters closed.
2019-06-24 22.01.06.jpg 2019-06-24 22.01.41.jpg

btw, I've talked her into just leaving the pvc natural, the windows are already white, so won't change the look much.

btw, I've talked her into just leaving the pvc natural, the windows are already white, so won't change the look much.

Hmmm.. My experience with PVC is that exposed to sunlight it tends to yellow and get brittle pretty quickly (in "life of house" terms of "quickly"). There's a lot of articles claiming to describe how to paint the stuff, I'm not sure on the best method but it does seem like prep matters.

Hmmm.. My experience with PVC is that exposed to sunlight it tends to yellow and get brittle pretty quickly (in "life of house" terms of "quickly"). There's a lot of articles claiming to describe how to paint the stuff, I'm not sure on the best method but it does seem like prep matters.

I could probably do a white paint on most of the faces, but the shutters are so tight to the frame that they'd seal shut and/or peal the paint on the frame where they rub. It's rare that set of windows gets direct sunlight and we may just have a UV film added to them to help slow the process. Still debating on it, but moving forward with frame installation for now.

Which tonight I did. I removed the old casing, installed the new frame, then re-applied the old casing on top to keep the look of the old window frame. Will touch up the casing, caulk all the gaps, and repaint it.
2019-06-25 21.31.43.jpg 2019-06-25 21.56.05.jpg

The two center rails seem to be stiff enough, but can add some brackets to attach to the window if need be.

The shutters came with a strip attached for screwing to existing window jambs on the opposite side of the hinges. I'm planning to remove one or two of them and cut down to about 1/4" wide to use for a drill template to connect the hinges to the new frame.

What's the difference between the vinyl (PVC) used in trim boards and what's used in the windows? The vinyl windows don't turn yellow - at least the ones on houses in my neighborhood haven't. The vinyl windows on my house are thirty years old, and are still white. As for brittle, the trim isn't going to be flexed or moved once it's installed, other than the usual thermal expansion. Just like wood, though, it will likely degrade a bit in your "life of house" scenario. so, even if it needs replaced in fifty years, it'll still have lived a useful life.

What's the difference between the vinyl (PVC) used in trim boards and what's used in the windows? The vinyl windows don't turn yellow - at least the ones on houses in my neighborhood haven't. The vinyl windows on my house are thirty years old, and are still white. As for brittle, the trim isn't going to be flexed or moved once it's installed, other than the usual thermal expansion. Just like wood, though, it will likely degrade a bit in your "life of house" scenario. so, even if it needs replaced in fifty years, it'll still have lived a useful life.
I assume there is a UV prohibitor on both the shutters and trim I'm using, both labels mention color fast pprotection.

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk

Tonight I mounted the shutters. I cut down two (left and right) of the original mounting strips to use as drill templates. I clamped them to the rails and got perfect match to the originals.
196356bba7efddb9fb318c7ecac6d30a.jpg

I still need to add some blocks to mount the magnetic catches, but SWMBO was happy with them.
dfe869f8f11bdd6d7844de32d1d90cd0.jpg

Up next is caulking and painting.

Thanks guys. I found my wife was closing the shutters themselves in the opposite direction, which allowed them to be seen through still. So swapped them left to right and visa versa to flip them over, they seem to work better this way.
efe5fb5e0d9ebfb39ff9e670e094729c.jpg

looks good darren did you make the louver part to or purchase them for your project?

Thanks Larry! We purchased the louvers from overstock (https://www.overstock.com/Home-Gard...ch-Wide/25858645/product.html?option=43573918), they were about $90 a set. Total cost for the project was about $350, but the custom shutters we were quoted by HD were $1100. The main difference would be having a custom color, I just didn't see a good way to paint or stain these, but at least our windows are a matching white anyway.