Q Stuff

Bill Arnold

Staff member
I do a fair amount of BBQ throughout the year - smoking, grilling, and griddling. We've tried many commercial seasonings and rubs along the way, but found most lacking in one way or another. Bobbie can handle some nice seasoning as long as it's not too hot. The commercial rub we used for a long time became a bit uncertain as to the amount of heat they put in it (think chipotle vs cayenne). So, I've developed my own rub recipe that I now use routinely. Actually, I even have two versions of it: the starter that I put on the meat before cooking and a finish powder that has most of the same ingredients, but very little heat.

To keep control of the stuff I mix up and make it easier to transport out to my BBQ area, I made the containers shown here.

These two containers are identical in size and made with cherry and walnut.

Q_Box1a.jpgQ_Box1b.jpg

This one holds most of the ingredients I use to make the rub and finish powder. The front panel is maple, ends are cherry, and handle is oak.

Q_Box2a.jpg

The piece of maple I used for the front panel had a couple of knots that I cleaned up a bit, then filled with epoxy resin tinted black.

Q_Box2b.jpg

Oh, for those wondering about my recipe, I'll tell you this much: SPOG . . .

Very cool. I really like the idea of the box joints with just slats connecting the 2 sides. That's cool!

Now we just need to pry the secret recipe out of you, lol.

Cool and handy ! Good job. What laser engraver did you use to engrave the text? I am toying with the idea of getting one but they are so similar among them and the prices so different that I am dubious.

Very cool. I really like the idea of the box joints with just slats connecting the 2 sides
Thanks for highlighting that, I somehow missed it on the first pass.

It is a great idea.

One of the design criteria I've formed for brewery taster trays is "drainage" and "no inside corners you can't clean" and this lands both of those quite nicely on this project which would, I think, benefit from similar design criteria.

Cool and handy ! Good job. What laser engraver did you use to engrave the text? I am toying with the idea of getting one but they are so similar among them and the prices so different that I am dubious.
Thanks, Toni.

The laser module I have is a 2.8W from J-Tech. It has done everything I've wanted so far. When I first got it, I mounted it on my CNC machine, which worked OK. A year or so later, I scraped together some spare parts and built a seperate assembly for the laser module. So, I can't really help you with a suggestion for a complete system since I built mine from scratch.

Very cool. I really like the idea of the box joints with just slats connecting the 2 sides. That's cool!

Now we just need to pry the secret recipe out of you, lol.
The slats were my original plan, so the box is easier to clean when I spill rub all over them!

As to the recipe, mine is basically like most: SPOG (kosher salt, coarse black pepper, onion powder, garlic powder), plus paprika for color, turbinado sugar for sweet, cayenne for heat, and a couple other ingredients just because.