Question: What Size Ratcheting Bar Clamps?

Bill Satko

I need to buy some ratcheting bar clamps. Right now I am not looking at 24" or longer but a set of smaller size for some quick one handed clamping. Just so there is no misunderstanding I provided a picture below as to the type I am looking at. I am not looking for this for the purpose of gluing up panels and such but more for securing items for drilling, screwing or even other smaller gluing tasks. So the size options that I am looking at are 6", 12" and/or 18". I think I want some 18" for any larger needs and either 6" or 12". There seems to be many needs where I need to clamp some with max throat need of less than 6". Will the 12" be too cumbersome in those cases? What has been your experience? And will the simple spring clamp serve the need. In the past the spring clamps didn't have enough force but it could have been the cheaps one I had at the time.

It is times like this I wonder what Rennie and Glenn would do.

1673891336807.png

Somewhere in the middle is ratcheting hand clamps like these:

This do NOT have the clamping power of the ratcheting bar clamps, but are maybe 30% of the way from a spring clamp to the bar clamp.

If you're really space constrained I've found the mechanism on the ratcheting clamps to be a lot more bulky and cumbersome so I tend to use some Very Small bar clamps instead more (although the one handed operation can be very very nice indeed)...

I have a boatload of the 12" Irwin Quick-Grip clamps (and a few 12" Besseys, thanks to their Christmas drawings), and that size has worked well for me. I've not run into any situations where I wished they were shorter, although take that with a grain of salt, because I don't do nearly the amount of clamping that Glenn and Rennie do. And anytime I've needed something longer, I just use various bar clamps.

Last edited:
JUST had a reason for 18" ones, 12" wide hutch top with 3/4" trim = 12.75!!! Fortunately 12" Irwins open up to.............12.75" (y) Might be looking for 4 18" versions;)
I have an easy solution for that. I don't make 12" wide hutch tops with 3/4" trim. :D Kidding aside, I have run into situations where I could use a bit longer clamp. I do have a couple of longer ratchet clamps, but they're no-name cheapies that don't have the clamping force that the Irwins or Besseys have.

5A89E075-9460-470D-B4B1-CBAE7CC3EFB1.jpegI have an easy solution for that. I don't make 12" wide hutch tops with 3/4" trim. :D Kidding aside, I have run into situations where I could use a bit longer clamp. I do have a couple of longer ratchet clamps, but they're no-name cheapies that don't have the clamping force that the Irwins or Besseys have.
I’m actually going to trim 3/4” off the front edge to fit the clamps better😁 no, actually the front trim is a design change so I need to, to balance the stiles on the sides, left side is front in pic, unbalanced, gotta adjust!

Somewhere in the middle is ratcheting hand clamps like these:

This do NOT have the clamping power of the ratcheting bar clamps, but are maybe 30% of the way from a spring clamp to the bar clamp.

If you're really space constrained I've found the mechanism on the ratcheting clamps to be a lot more bulky and cumbersome so I tend to use some Very Small bar clamps instead more (although the one handed operation can be very very nice indeed)...
My local (local definition: 25 miles away with only one mtn pass to go over) home depot has these in stock and I will have a chance to test them out in the store.

I use both 6" and 12", 18"would be nice but any larger than 12" I just use 24"parallel clamps.
I pulled the trigger (no pun intended) on 4 each in the 6" and 12" size. I still have my eye on some 18", but I got a good deal on the 6" & 12". I will wait until I can get a better deal on the 18". I went with the 300# versions.

Another vote for the Irwins. I like those the best. I find the Bessy clamps don't clamp as tight (they have a limiter/clutch that prevents them from doing so) and the release is not nearly as easy to work singlehandedly as the Irwins. I pinch myself with them often. Had I not gotten them for free I would have taken them back.

Another vote for the Irwins. I like those the best. I find the Bessy clamps don't clamp as tight (they have a limiter/clutch that prevents them from doing so) and the release is not nearly as easy to work singlehandedly as the Irwins. I pinch myself with them often. Had I not gotten them for free I would have taken them back.
Thanks for the info. I will test out the Bessey's and if I find the same problems, I will send them back. What version of Bessey's did you get?
I got the EHKL versions which is listed under the "Full Range from 40 to 600 lbs" category. They also have "Light Duty..." and "Regular Duty..." Too many categories with a lot of overlap. Makes it confusing.

1673907235647.png

Full Range From 40 to 600 lbs
1673906968239.png

I also have several Irwin and a few craftsman 12”. The craftsman set let’s switch the stationary end from one end to the other for spreading vs clamping. I’ve also made a little block that lets you connect two clamps to expand their capacity by removing the stationary ends and connecting two clamps using the block.

I have never used a Bessy clamps, I do have two 6 & 12 inch Irwins, but most of my ratchet clamps are from Harbor Freight... they work for me and are 1/2 to 1/3 the price of the "Name" brands.... I do have one of the HF clamps that slips in the ratchet... don't remember all of the sizes, but pretty sure I have 4 at 24" plus the smaller sizes.

Thanks for the info. I will test out the Bessey's and if I find the same problems, I will send them back. What version of Bessey's did you get?
I got the EHKL versions which is listed under the "Full Range from 40 to 600 lbs" category. They also have "Light Duty..." and "Regular Duty..." Too many categories with a lot of overlap. Makes it confusing.

View attachment 123597

Full Range From 40 to 600 lbs
View attachment 123596
Mine are EHKM06

I keep a couple of the Irwin heavier versions around for a third hand in 12". I have a couple of the Irwin really stout versions with the I-beam type bar in 24". I use them for drawing things together or as spreaders but as others have observed they are not really useful for long term clamping.

I am glad to hear the report on the Besseys. I was considering getting some in the hope that they could be used as clamps as well as third hands . . . doesn't sound promising though(?).