Quick and easy steamer box.

I have a project in mind that will need steam bending, one of the things that are stopping me is having to build a steam box ( among others), I was thinking about a similar solution but using a metallic drain pipe to prevent it softening due to the heat. What steam generator are you using? it looks as the LeeValley one.

I have a project in mind that will need steam bending, one of the things that are stopping me is having to build a steam box ( among others), I was thinking about a similar solution but using a metallic drain pipe to prevent it softening due to the heat. What steam generator are you using? it looks as the LeeValley one.
Metal pipe will take a long time to heat up, but ought to work.
My steam box is made from four lengths of 1 X 8 pine lumber. I cross drilled it every 8" or so and put wood dowels through the holes to suspend the workpieces up off the box bottom.
My steam generator is like the Lee Valley one, which is actually made for a wallpaper removal steamer. Plenty of steam volume.

Maybe a dumb question, but don't you need a vent at the far end? I have no experience with steam boxes for woodworking, but it would seem that a vent would be needed to get the steam to flow through the box and excess pressure to vent.

Charley

Here's what I'm using.

Here's what I'm using.

Thanks John. Unfortunately Amazon does not carry it here. I've found this wallpaper steamer of 2000W that I believe it could work as well, although it does not have safety switch in case of running out of water.
Amazon spain

Last edited: