Quick garden update

As you've probably found.. skipping the sprinkler was key to that :). There's no point in watering weeds. We do still have a lot of weeds but water and bed management has helped keep them to a dull roar. It's been pretty interesting going into entirely new soil, the spaces I had turned last year and we were diligent on weeding were MUCH less of a problem than the freshly turned spaces. As they say "One year of seeds is ten years of weeds" but there's a bit of a drop off curve on the density. One spot we didn't get to very well in the lower field had a big patch of grass go to seed last year and boy howdy it's back this year in that same spot so.. you can really tell the difference. The owner also tilled the lower patch which took the bindweed (Convolvulus arvensis) that had made it and spread the roots more evenly around... so THAT didn't help either haha.. I've gotten it chopped back some but that stuff re-generates from even a tiny bit of root so it's been a real pain.

I have about 2500' of 5/8" drip deployed across the two garden plots. I grew up using row-adjacent flood irrigating which works in a similar fashion but given the irregular slopes, and water timing availability drip line seemed like a better choice. It's not ideal especially with the soil problems, we have had quite a bit of seed germination issues due to poor moisture retention/distribution (a combination of a mister system to get germination going then switch to drip might work..) but once crops are established it's a good way to go. We've ended up starting a lot of stuff we'd otherwise direct plant (lettuce, small cabbage family, green onions, etc... not root crops like beets/carrots though) because of this.

While I'm with you on this in principal, in practice without fertilizer this plot would yield pretty much nothing hah. I don't think I've ever tried to work with such depleted soil before. There was very very little organic material. It was wildly deficient not just in the NPK macro nutrients.. but also basically all of the micro nutrients especially sulfur (which is borderline a macro) and boron (which is apparently a problem all over E Oregon.. who knew). Plus the soil texture is really really terrible. The majority of the "dirt" is twice eroded clay where it's rock that turned to clay, that was reformed into clay/sand rock and is now eroding back into clay again. There are basically no organics and and rock nutrients that might once have been in it have long washed out.. excepting Potassium which was moderate-high because of poor watering practices salting the soil.

We did bring in 9 yards of outside compost last year of which about half went on this plot and half went on some berries and into a house garden plot. That wasn't scaling well though... I've also used up most of the freely available downed rotten wood in the one Huggle so long term I'm working with the owners on better plans for in-situ biomass production.

So we've had to use more commercial fertilizer than I might normally indulge in. Primarily we're using an organic 4:3:2 (pelletized chicken byproducts) but have also had to use a lot of other stuff to keep it going.
  • bone meal (cal/phos) which is an excellent intermediate time delivery phosphorous + calcium so great for tomatoes
  • actual rock cal/phos (which is slower release), and also some chelated calcium to knock back blossom end as a spot application
  • Some super phosphate to kick the tomatoes (and it turns out luffa gourds... which is another story...) into production.
  • Gypsum (several 100lbs of gypsum) for sulfur and calcium and we hoped for some of its clay breaking properties (might have worked.. didn't make it worse anyway)
  • Solubor for boron (a little goes a loooong ways)
  • Azomite and green sand for other micronutrients
  • 15-0-0 Calcium Nitrate which provides a form of cold weather available nitrogen that literally made our early cabbage family (bok chow/chinese cabbage/etc..) possible.
  • 20-0-0 Ammonium Sulfate which provides both nitrogen and sulfur for the corn patch. Corn very visibly complains about sulfur deficiency by showing yellow stripes on the leaves, once you see the stripes it's generally to late for that years crops. It's been kind of interesting to see where I put down enough.. versus where I didn't the difference is pretty marked where you'll see some with nice green leaves and the plants right next to them are visibly striped.
The difference between second year (and the very heavily modified) plots that have some organics in them and the first year plots was also pretty interesting to see. Where we had planted and cover cropped and .... ... the moisture retention was significantly better, the soil texture went from "mostly brick like lumps" to "crumbly and friable with only intermittent brick like lumps..".

I also aggressively cover cropped some sections in fall/winter/spring with some different mixes. The definite winner in our location for late winter/early spring cover cropping was fava beans, possibly mixed with some forage radish for deep soil penetration (the forage radishes are worth growing for winter radish and also some super tasty greens anyway). We planted a lot of "bell beans" which are a smaller variety plus some full sized in more carefully tended plots.. both are great as both a very early green bean and a bit later as a shell bean, so for starters you get beans 1-2 months earlier than any other bean. They also put down a lot more roots and organic matter than most of the other cover crops in this poor soil plus they at least tried to fix some nitrogen (the field peas seem to have fixed a bit more .. but it's hard to be entirely sure - the favas improved the soil texture a lot more anyways which at this point is kind of the limiting factor).

The property owners have a 2 acre plot they need to pull cherries off of because of a cherry disease, I've been trying to convince them to do a soil remediation program there before doing anything else. Based on my experiments in the small plot.. First would be fall/winter nitrogen fixing crops after amending with a Phosphate and micronutrient source and maybe a wee bit of an initial nitrogen supplement to get the baby plants started. This would be primarily fava's and some soil penetrating helpers like forage radish and mustards and maybe an overwinter boimass grain like rye or triticale. Second would be a spring nitrogen crop addition (field peas) mixed with nitrogen holding (buckwheat) and biomass (oats probably). Then over summer put in a heavy biomass producer like a sterile sourghumXSudangrass hybrid (which is a massive clay buster as well) which would probably need a supplemental nitrogen feed. Once that was dug in another round of winter nitrogen & biomass planting.. That takes it mostly out of rotation for a year.. but I think you could probably sell at least some of the fava's as a specialty item in the spring to recover a bit of it.
I was able to amend the soil with compost and lots of organic material and that is why I was able to dispense with the fertilizer. I made it a habit to not turn the soil without adding something to it; compost, leaves, leaf mold, manure, grass clippings etc. etc. etc. Of course manure is fertilizer in its most basic form.

Your soil sounds even worse than what I was dealing with. I live on the coastal plain so all of the nutrients were long ago washed away or consumed by time. I had to amend the soil or I would have been watering daily. There was nothing to hold moisture in the sand. I also found it necessary to add calcium and lime to the garden soil regularly.

I used to plant red clover to hold the soil over the winter and then till it in. I tried rye but it grew in my beds to monstrous heights and was difficult to till in.

I did try the soaker hoses and they worked okay but being lazy I found that flood irrigation was much easier as the water soaked into the sides of my raised beds.

At this point I am not able to do all I used to do in my garden and have downsized to a smaller tiller and a cultivator. I still compost and add it in every year. I love my garden and I loved working in it but my health has put limitations on lots of things that I used to do.

You have a great garden and I am sure you enjoy it.

the soaker hoses
Soaker hoses proved to be a quick path to failure in this area if you're on a well because the small pore opening get clogged with calcium deposits (which is odd because the soil is deficient.. but the water isn't .. different layers of the strata). I tried them at our last house and they were white with solid encrustations by the end of the year. IF you're going to use them it turns out mulching over them helps that a lot as they don't dry out so much and it lets the salts wash off.

I'd prefer just flood irrigation like you're doing in a perfect world but it doesn't fit some of the other restrictions I have on terrain and water timing/availability.. so we make do with what we have...

This is the stuff I'm using:

I've been pretty happy with it other than the cost of it + fittings. I've found that runs over about 50' tend to buckle to much with hot/cold cycles we have (they pull back flat fine.. but it's annoying) but that's about as long of a row as I'd want to walk around anyway.

There are other products with wider emitter spacing that would imho be better for tomatoes and similar but we got this on sale cheap and weren't willing to invest in multiple kinds :D

One plus on this stuff is that it's low pressure. Nominally 10psi but we've had decent luck down to just 2 or 3 and letting it soak longer so it'll work "ok" on some gravity feed setups.

I did use 1/2" solid pipe and some pop-in emitters for melons, squash, and artichoke plantings and the huggle.

I don't think it would be a useful product for a smaller garden space though. I've used the blue stripe 1/4" embedded emitter lines for those and have been quite happy with them as well.

Bit of an update. Long cool spring was good for cool weather crops, so we've been getting about all of the lettuce and greens we could want and maybe then a bit. We have a rounds of 5 or 6 houses plus us and the landowners we're dropping stuff off at now. How much we can give away sort of depends on how much we have but generally can leave a nice batch of something for most folks most weeks.

We've been aggressively amending with what we know is low nutrient wise (and boy is it low) which seems to be helping in at least some cases. Mostly a lot of phosphorous, sulfur (visible sulfur deficiencies which shows up as striped yellow leaves as opposed to nitrogen which is overall yellow), some diatomaceous earth for silica (who knew silica was a critical plant nutrient.. clay soil is low in it..), boron, and some nitrogen although I also planted quite a lot of field pea and bell/fava bean cover crop to chop back in for nitrogen and organic bulk.

Getting the organics back in the soil is really helping the soil depth to. in the planted blocks I can mostly dig down 2-3' whereas in the aisle right next to them it's still hard clay. Some of the newer blocks that are only on year 2 aren't in quite as good of shape. Had I planned better I'd have started digging at the top of the garden and all the warmer upper spots would be "better" now but... I wasn't necessarily planning on farming this spot for 3 years either so.. yah. is what it is.

Cutworms, wire worms, sap suckers, leaf miners, and the occasional slug continue to be a problem (or work in progress as you will). There's an occasional pocket gopher that needs "dealing with". I think I have the squirrels about half licked, we've only caught one grey digger this year so far; I expect that we'll see a few as they leave the nest mid summer in the next month or so. Nothing has been apocalyptic and destroyed everything like the squirrels did the first year though so between managing that and working on the soil overall production is quite a bit up.

This is heading on the tail end of the spring lettuce, we have some summer lettuce getting ready to go out but we're heading into a heat wave so will probably give it a week to cool off before we try to do that.

PXL_20220623_014501967.jpg

In the meantime the peas are 7' tall and producing pretty well (about 1/2 gallon every day or two), The yellow flowers to the left of them is some ground cover mustard I left in patches around the tomatoes to help bring in bees.. it'll get pulled pretty soon just before it goes to seed.

What look like weeds on the sides of the hills are mostly (cough.. but not entirely...) flowers that just haven't bloomed yet. We try to scatter those around partially for ambiance but more because they bring in predatory wasps and lady bugs and lacewings and various other garden helpers who work for free if you manage the habitat a bit.

PXL_20220623_013242475.jpg

Hopefully pretty soon the pole beans will be producing as well. Some are about as tall as I am (6') already although they're still pretty sparse and haven't flowered yet. Plus a few calendula flowers for show (+ LOML uses them as a wool dye plant) in the front :)

PXL_20220623_013238967.MP.jpg

In the meantime the fava beans are getting close and should hold us over and provide a bit of freezer food for later.

PXL_20220623_014457054.jpg

Quite close but not quite ready for shelling yet. Maybe another week for the first handful. You can tell they're ready when the pods start getting just a bit leathery.

PXL_20220623_014438066.MP.jpg

Overview from above the pepper and melon patch with the pea, bean, and tomato section off to the left and the rest on down the hill. Some tomatillo's and a trellis for a large climbing squash in the middle. When you have such a small garden you have to go vertical :cool: :LOL::poke:

PXL_20220623_020149134.MP.jpg

A bit closer to the home front my neighbors place has a wee new visitor.

PXL_20220623_035451938.MP.jpg

A couple nights ago it was snoozing so soundly you could almost hear the snores while moma was off feeding so I snuck up to the fence and snapped a shot to show how truly small it is. Just tiny. A bit more steady on the legs today than it was this weekend.

PXL_20220620_010921896.jpg

Wow, Impressive pictures. Cute little fawn too.

I wasn't feeling very energetic towards gardening this year, so didn't do any starts myself.

Sharon had picked up a few things and planted a couple of beds, but the mormon cricket invasion over the last 2 weeks pretty much ate everything up in the garden despite our efforts to control them.

Guess there was a reason I wasn't feeling like gardening, lol.

We had planted some field peas and favas as cover crops in one space in the garden and let them dry down.

For interest sake

• 100 row feet of field peas not to densely planted and half heartedly harvested yielded 10lbs dry weight threshed (plus a lot of really good looking mulch..).
  • 140 row feet of bell bean (small) fava's where I'm pretty sure the quail got a non trivial amount of the bottom beans yielded 21 lbs dry weight threshed.

Field peas was a major crop in my part of Texas as a youngster... also called purple hulls.... my uncle had about 40 acres of them on his farm next to ours... my dad stuck with cotton, but I can tell you dragging a 6 yard sack of green field peas is a chore.... fortunately, I was too light to handle a 6 yard, so my sack was only 3 yards. Still at only a little over 100 lbs I struggled to drag it up and down the field rows.
We even had a pea market in Jewett, Texas where the farmers brought their crops to sell to the big processors.
BTW, a mess of fresh field peas with a chunk of salt pork cooked in them and a pan of corn bread is damned good eating.

BTW, a mess of fresh field peas with a chunk of salt pork cooked in them and a pan of corn bread is good eating.

This is our first real harvest of dry field peas, so I'm definitely open to recipes hah. The closest I think I've had would be split peas and some larger shell peas. The specific type we were growing was more sold as a cover crop.. but since they were there..

I personally have never cooked field peas (PURPLEHULLS), but my mom shelled them fresh, even snapped a few that weren't ready to shell, then put them on to boil with a little salt and a chunk of salt pork or bacon, boiling for about an hour (don't hold me to the time - I was pretty young back then)... served with a pan of corn bread. Keep in mind we were sharecroppers back then and ate pretty simply.
I have a couple of cans in my pantry that I haven't opened and tried yet... I have a yankee wife and not sure she would appreciate them like I do... another of my favorite is black eyed peas cooked the same way. My older sister doesn't like black eyes, she says they taste like dirt... I don't and like them.

We use black eyed peas quite a bit, I'm also pretty fond of them. Indeed we've taken to growing a fair variety of cowpeas in the garden, a lot of them are really good as green to. There's a quite a lot of variety, this year we have maybe five kinds, so far mostly we've been harvesting an Italian shelling variety that was traditionally cooked with rice. The rather famous yard long beans are a type of cowpea as well and we just picked a handful of those (not quite a yard long but well over a foot).

Well we're getting half to two thirds of a bushel of green chili's every week or so now. The peppers are ROCKING this year, the korean peppers that did well last year are doing REALLY well this year, over 4' tall and loaded. If the habanero's ripen (and at this point I'm not seeing any reason they won't) we'll have half a bushel or more of them 🔥 We're even getting ripe bell type peppers, we never get those (we do get some of the italian frying peppers to ripen and keep trying the bells .. this is the year). Lots of thai and red chili's starting to land as well (nice big patch of Chimayo pepper's and some other new-mex reds).

Kind of nice that something is working as well as it should!

Somewhere between 12 and 20lbs of tomatoes every 2-3 days. Which is admittedly a fair bit, not as much as we should be getting from the size of the patch we have, but they're also kind of just heading into full production now as well.

I picked 7 cantaloupes (6 small and a large) today so we gave three to the neighbors and I'm set for breakfast for the next few days. First watermelon went in the fridge to (pretty sure it's ripe.. based on the opposing tendril and cup leaf drying off).

LOML picked the cucumbers, walked back by, found 5 mire.. then I picked 3 after wards :D They're tricky little fellows.

Beans kind of shut down in the heat for a while but they're coming back. At least the long beans are starting to come on in a big way, and the thai soldier beans (which are closely related but smaller) are starting to produce so we have enough for a good meal of those every day to.

The first round of winter cabbage is out, probably 60 some plants. Putting them under floating row covers is working out really well to keep them cool & hydrated. So we're going to try the same for a good round of fall carrots and beats tomorrow. We have another 100 or so winter cabbage plants of various types that are just getting stared in trays.

We put a lot of phosphorous out this year which seemed to help a lot for the roots & fruits. There was definitely a serious deficiency but we hadn't really realized quite how bad.

Looks more like a mini farm to me.

I hand dug a 20 x 25 x 1.5 garden a couple of years ago (1984).
I bought loam to fill it in.
Maybe I could do it now, but it would take 5 - 10 years.

My postage stamp gardens are doing OK with a ton of watering.

I am thinking of a few tiny raised beds in the near future - next year or so.
Money and energy permitting.

From one of my current half barrel raised bed I make 3 pints of pickled beets.
In my new 4x16 raised bed I make 8 pints of Bread and Butter pickles - yummy, plus I froze a nice bunch of string beans.

I few treats for January or February with a fire in the woodstove.

Your mini farm is very impressive - gardening is cool stuff.

The baby deer is cool, but all I can think of is how they damage my fruit trees.

I really admire your ambition.

Had to give up our real nice garden area many years ago... Out neighbor's trees got so big, Shaded my garden so much, nothing would grow... Really saved me a lot of work, but I do miss eating fresh peas right of the vine..

Put in some more fall crops today in the lower garden (yeaaah.. there's another lower garden 😬 :cool: another 6 rows 45' long by 4' wide - it was the corn patch last couple years but this year we put in the extra 50 tomatoes and 80 some peppers down there for the property owners farmers market sales). There was two blocks in fava's and 1/2 in garlic earlier so we just replanted those.

About 20 row feet of various radish types (lots of daikon varieties. we'll put more of those in the upper garden as well). Another 140+- row feet of carrots and the rest (60+- row feet) in beets. We've planted some cow peas along the outside of the rows as nurse plants for the carrots and beets.

One nice thing about the soil improving is that the weeds are getting easier to pull and the dirt is getting nicer to work. I didn't flip the soil here at all, just raked some 4-3-2 fertilizer into the top 2" and raked flat then planted. We were able to get that done plus the 2 x 45' rows of peppers weeded before 1:00 with a bit of a late start.

Couple of quick evening round the garden shots. Buckets of cucumbers this year for a change, and even a few of the beefsteak tomatoes are doing well this year. Things progress..

Turns out the peppers don't like sunflowers (couple of volunteers) so we're back in the korean pepper business as well... It was confusing because they usually do super well.. and now that I've cut the sunflowers down they are again!

1691811376032.png

1691811404799.png

1691811433737.png