rant, customer service is almost gone in this country

allen levine

preface(is this the correct word? it all, when I purchased my new car last year, if a sams club member, 500 dollar discount, so I signed up for 50 bucks, and saved 450

now I noticed it was a recurring charge, 54 dollars.

I decided to contact them to cancel my membership there arent any near me, and I dont need them with costco and amazon and walmart.

let me first say, I had a business, retail, in the, not one of the largest, the largest melting pot of people on planet earth. we had customers from everywhere on the planet who moved to america.
my store, offered english, spanish, italian, german, polish, korean, french, and even for 20 years we had someone who knew sign language. there was a french jew who owned a jewerly store next to me so if I needed him to translate he would always be happy to.
so we heard every heavy accent on earth, everywhere, most spoke english or broken english with heavy accents, only mainly dominicans or central american customers spoke only spanish, but most of my staff spoke spanish.

ok, so Ive heard it all.

after trying to get my membership; number, which I had no clue, because I never received a card, anyway, I could barely make out what the customer service rep was saying, her english was so poor, I was close to hanging up the phone.

every thing she repeated, she repeated again and again, becasue they read off a script, but over and over again.

then please hold for 2 minutes, then the same repeat and repeat, it was maddenning.

finally, and I mean finally, she went into the 7=10 day waiting period for credit card refund, but she repeated that over and over again, almost as if she didnt understand herself.

so this rant, is only to state that I spend less time purchasing a mercedes convertible last year then I did trying to cancel my 50 dollar a year sams club membership.

its just wrong, maybe they do it on purpose, but Im sad to think america is sinking this fast, not a political opinion, just a sad observation.

We have a Costco membership, figured out that if we got a new set of tires every four years it paid for itself.

Anyway they also have a car buying program so when I was shopping for a new truck I filled out the form. I got a call back from the dealer about an hour later, I knew pretty much exactly what I wanted, wasn’t picky on color and told the guy the details. He said he didn’t have any of those on the lot but could get trucks from other dealers. I said that’s fine let me know what you can do. And then… nothing. I waited a week, then walked into another dealer who had inventory and bought a truck.

A month later a rep from Costco called to ask how the referral had gone, I told them not well as the dealer just ghosted me so I ended up just buying from another dealer. They could have had an easy sale but I guess spending a few minutes to get a price and availability to a hot buyer is just too much work nowadays.

We have a Costco membership, figured out that if we got a new set of tires every four years it paid for itself.

Anyway they also have a car buying program so when I was shopping for a new truck I filled out the form. I got a call back from the dealer about an hour later, I knew pretty much exactly what I wanted, wasn’t picky on color and told the guy the details. He said he didn’t have any of those on the lot but could get trucks from other dealers. I said that’s fine let me know what you can do. And then… nothing. I waited a week, then walked into another dealer who had inventory and bought a truck.

A month later a rep from Costco called to ask how the referral had gone, I told them not well as the dealer just ghosted me so I ended up just buying from another dealer. They could have had an easy sale but I guess spending a few minutes to get a price and availability to a hot buyer is just too much work nowadays.
Costco did my credit card processing in my business for years
Their rate was better then any bank for a small business
And buying supplies were always tax free so the commercial membership fee was well worth it for me
Some of the prices are so inexpensive compared to other stores the membership is worth it for us

I believe my experience with my propane gas company tops, or bottoms, the best/worst of customer service of all time. At least for me. About three years ago I spent the better part of the year in the hospital. A lot of personal matters fell by the wayside, including paying some bills. When I got home I tried to catch up on everything. When I called the gas company I was connected with some guy with a thick accent, presumably India-Indian. I told him I wanted to order a fill up and pay my account due. He responded that they could not sell me more gas because my account was blocked because of the past due bill. I told him the reason for my call was to pay that past due amount. He said, "You can't pay the past due because it is past due." OK, go figger. They won't accept payment, won't top off the tank. And, if I tell them to take the tank they also take the gas that is in it. About 200 gal. or about $400.00. I don't know how to get past the conundrum. I may just have to let them take the tank and lose the money.

Just remember when you are dealing with a machine on the phone to say this word strongly and clearly, "REPRESENTATIVE! Representative, I said. Give me a dadgum representative! Do you hear me? REPRESENTATIVE!"
We're sorry, but all our REPRESENTATIVE! are busy right now serving other customers. Your estimated wait time is 6 days 13 hours and 12 minutes. You are 1,354th in line.

I didn't actually know that was a service they offered.. Very interesting to know!
I retired in 2010
Back then their rate was 1.75 %
The best bank rate I got was 2.25
It's all about how much business you generate

Every week salesmen would come into my store and try to sell me their cc processing

I once put up a sign that stated I shoot salesmen instead of soda cans
I was forced to take it down

I got an email from them
The name was Manuel and I thought it was a woman
Nicaragua was listed as his place of residence
Forgot the city maybe Managua or something likenthat
Very weak english