Rapier restoration

Hi guys.
My father kept this 120+ year old rapier restoration in his "to do" list and sadly he passed away without doing it. I was 20 at that time and I kept it in my list as well, so I decided to do finally.
The rapier is in pretty good condition, minor piting on the tip and the tipycal patina on the rest of the blade. The locking mechanism is present and working so it shouldn't be a problem.
The original sheath was a bamboo cane with a walking stick handle of unknown shape to me, so I believe that the easiest way to go would be use a new bambo cane and make a wooden handle either the tipycal hook one or a carved one.
I am also considering making a wood sheath made out of two halves with a slot in the center and glue them and round them afterwards.
The rapier is 27`5 inches long. What is interesting in it is the legend that is etched on its sides. One one side it reads " No me saques sin razón" (Do nt unsheath me without a reason) and on the other side it reads; "No me guardes sin honor" (Do not sheath me without honor)
I will aprreciate any suggestions you would give me. Thanks.
IMG_6494.JPG
IMG_6496.JPGIMG_6503.JPG
IMG_6500.JPGIMG_6501.JPG
IMG_6497.JPGIMG_6498.JPGIMG_6499.JPG

So are you going for a "restoration" or looking to do a project which you can put your skills and own touch upon it?

I think there are good examples out there for doing either. But it looks to be missing enough of the original hardware to allow you to do your own touch/design on it, completely. Maybe a carved sheath and handle. I've never worked with bamboo, but I suspect there are solid/laminated products that would allow some matching of the handle to the sheath.

Tomi, I found this online it might give you some ideas, I think a wooden one with a carves straight handle would be what I would go with.
Thanks a lot Don. That link gives me a lot of ideas.
If that sword has collectors value the wisest thing to do to it is nothing.
To be honest Frank, I have no idea wether it has collectors value or not, up to a certain point I agree with you, but as the original blade and mechanism will remain untouched I do not know to what extend that would diminish its value or not. Besides I do not know who would be interested in buying it here.