Re-lamping - Let there be light!

Rennie Heuer

Staff member
I mentioned in a Friday thread that I had decided to re-lamp the shop. The 50+ 48" fluorescents were aging, some were burned out and at least one ballast was shot. The cost of new lamps and a ballast or two was not much, but didn't offer much of an improvement either. The most significant factor in my decision was monthly cost of operation. LED's were the way to go. I looked into just swapping out the current tubes for LED tubes but the lumens and savings were just not there. After all, you're still paying to run the ballast. I've been watching these for some time and the price had been dropping and the reviews were mostly very good. So, I decided to take the plunge.

It took longer than planned (2 1/2 days) but that is my own fault. I decided that, since I had the scaffolding out anyway, I might as well clean the ceiling and all the DC pipes. What a dirty job.

I think the pictures speak for themselves. What I love is the evenness of the lighting. Since there are literally many hundreds of light sources the light is almost shadow free. The light also reaches the walls better than the old tubes so they are well lit and there are no dark corners. Fingers crossed that they serve me well for many years.... and that I see a significant drop in the electric bill!

Although the pictures tell the story rather well, they just don't have the impact that the new lights have. Much better!

Here are the before and afters.
IMG_2141.JPEGIMG_2155.JPEG

IMG_2142.JPEGIMG_2156.JPEG

IMG_2143.JPEGIMG_2158.JPEG

IMG_2144.JPEGIMG_2157.JPEG

That's great. I think you're really going to enjoy that. I had 6500k's in the last shop and really liked the visibility. I kept a couple of clamp-on fixtures with incandescent bulbs in them for color checking things at those steps.