Realignment of laser - plus new 38.1mm lense

Leo Voisine

Based on the videos from Russ I finally did a complete realignment and fine tuned my laser. I also did some testing on focal length of the 63.5mm lens and tested the 38.1mm lens.

Russ had a really good explanation of the path of the laser beam and how the angled mirror on the lens tube could loose some of the laser beam. So I made sure to get the beam centered on the mirror as well as on the lens and through the lens nozzle.

WOW - what a difference. I can CLEARLY see how the cutting action is now WAY more powerful that it was before.

I think I really like the 38.1mm lens. I have not yet tried a project. but I do see promise with is.

Now I need to work on an adjustable table leveling system. The stock table is OK, but not to what I really want.

I've heard really good thinks about those 38.1mm lenses, especially for the cheap k40's. I'm planning on taking some time over the holidays to replace the mirrors and lenses on my k40. I've got some better quality ones, and a better quality 50.8mm lense. So just need to see how those work for a while before I go to the 38.1.

I have a 50mm lens as well, have not tried it yet. Russ seemed to be really happy with the 38.1 so I just pop'd that one in.

I did the alignment with the 63 lens and simple changed out the lens tube with the 38 lens. I didn't need to make any adjustments. The beam shot through the middle of the 38 nozzle just fine. I thought I would need to adjust the mirror. Maybe I was just lucky.

It would be nice if I could set up 3 lens tubes with 3 lenses and just swap them out as needed.