rear table stuck on Delta 37-220 jointer

Tos Fackenthall

Hi,
I recently picked up an old 37-220 (FC series, which I think means it's circa 1972) and the rear table is stuck. The mechanism that normally moves left/right when you turn the wheel is stuck all the way to the left. I attached a photo of the side that works and the side that is stuck. Anyway, I'm not super mechanical so I have no idea where to even begin trying to open this thing up. Any suggestions/thoughts? Thanks!

The side that works
IMG_0714.JPG

The side that is stuck
IMG_0712.JPG

I can’t really tell from the pictures but once the table is adjusted to a given position it is locked there by some means of a tightening knob or lever. Are you loosening the locking mechanism before attempting to change the tables height?

The manual I found online mentions a lock screw, but it seems to be missing on mine. The wheel turns two rotations but the threads are not able to move the lever mechanism so then it stops. One could probably theoretically turn it harder but you'd risk stripping the thread. I tried prying it gently with a screwdriver but it's in there solid.
Screen Shot 2020-08-19 at 9.58.05 PM.png

Isn’t the lock knob or nut directly opposite the hand wheel on the rear of the machine? I’ll try to pull a manual tomorrow and take a closer look.

Haha, I don't doubt that there is supposed to be some kind of locking nut/knob here but mine doesn't seem to have it :). The end is all mangled like they had a vice grips on it or something. One other odd thing I noticed is that the whole cylinder rotates, not just the bolt inside.. Not sure if this is normal.
IMG_0720.JPG

That cylinder (sleeve) isn't supposed to turn, and somebody has really buggered up the locking screw - and probably its threads, too. It's gonna take TWO sets of vice grips to separate them now, but I'm thinking that once you do that the table will move again. Some PB Blaster penetrating oil might help things along, too.

Problem solved! Nothing a little compressed air and PB Blaster can't solve, apparently! Thanks everyone for your help and ideas!

The once-square lock screw is now basically round from who knows how many vice grips, wondering if something like this could be replaced?

Now that it's working, now I have to tune it up so it's actually true. I've read a few posts referencing a VHS tape by John White called "Tuning Up A Jointer", any other resources you'd recommend?

Thanks!

IMG_0725.JPG

IMG_0724 2.JPG

Problem solved! Nothing a little compressed air and PB Blaster can't solve, apparently! Thanks everyone for your help and ideas!

The once-square lock screw is now basically round from who knows how many vice grips, wondering if something like this could be replaced?
Glad we could help.
As for a replacement, I'd bet the original is (was) a common thread, like 5/16-18 or 3/8-16, so you ought to be able to source a new bolt in the proper length from Home Depot or your local hardware store. Just grind or file the tip of it to the proper shape. Probably cost you less than a buck.

I think it was fine threaded so 5\16 - 24 don t quote on that. You only need to adjust that table every blade change, so bi anually maybe. I would go with an allen head if you cant get square head.