Reclaiming Space

Peter Rideout

image.jpg
Motivated by Darren’s good work today, I was inspired to come into the shade and address this issue during the hottest part of the day.
I haven’t made much progress dealing with the residual mess from last winter’s roofing project and my wife wants a big bookcase for the upstairs hall. There Is no place in this building to break down a sheet of plywood, except the empty hayloft and I’m just not going to drag it up there!
That spot at the back where that orange barrel stands is the most promising. We’ll see how it goes.

You're getting there, Peter.
Thank you, Ted. It is a very satisfying activity, maybe even in the ASMR realm, something I didn’t know existed not that long ago! I am so fortunate to have that big space and it’s a waste to have it fill up with stuff settling in for the long term. The impetus this morning was to process thirty sheets of 3/4 plywood into apple bin parts. It was great to have that kind of productivity in the shop again.
There’s a stand of 100 year old roof boards in there that I’m struggling with. They’re pretty ugly and full of nails, but our son says they’re all the rage among millennials. Maybe I should test that market before the fad dies?

The problem of having so much space is that one tends to fill it up.
You are exactly right, Toni!! Things creep in there at nighttime and take up permanent residence!
It is a great work space, so I am trying hard to get it clear and keep it that way.
I have a friend who says that the ideal shop is big enough to turn a bus around inside without reversing!

Your answer reminds me that answer that a woman said when was asked what calories were: Her answer was, “ calories are those little bastards that creep at night in your drawers and closets and shrink your clothes.!”
Haha!! They are the same kind of beast, Toni. Maybe cousins.

There is a big cleanup of the hayloft going on today (in preparation for this year’s hay coming in) and several things have crept down the stairs to clutter up the sacred barn floor right under my nose!!
The cleanup is a slower job than usual, as I’m sifting through the hay chaff with my wheelie magnet to catch any nails that fell down through from the roofing job.