Reconfig of the Carol/Don/Brent CNC or as I like to call it, the Big CDB. Updated -> DONE!

Made progress. All of the wiring seems to work but had a few setbacks.

The green button I'm using for engaging the contactor doesn't seem to work every time. Sometimes it does things right, sometimes not. Ordered new buttons just to be sure.

A couple of the power supplies also seem to be making a sound like frying bacon for about 15 seconds when the power is applied to them. They seem to be generating the right voltage, but the sound kind of un-nerves me a little bit. They seem to work fine on 110, but when I switch them to 220, they make the noise. No problem, I'll save them as backups and or repurpose them for something else I'll run on 110.

All items supposed to arrive monday. It's also finally gotten up to the upper 90's here, so I'll need to start doing my garage and outdoor work earlier in the day.

Might need to shift to the night shift like Vaughn, lol.

Thats what I was thinking? It's just kind of weird. But closing in on things. Should be able to get things moving soon!

Well, We've got movement and home and the E-stop works.

Now on to dialing in the settings and getting it all optimized. Really like the iosender software for doing the grblHal configuration. No looking up $ commands and executing them in the console. It has everything right there and all you need to do is click boxes and enter numbers.

New parts are out for delivery, so should be able to button up the control box today.

This is the fun part

f2e1ab082e83ac27c667ae2d6102a3fe.jpg

Well, Pretty stoked. Got the new power supplies installed. Wrapped up the wiring in the control box, I have all 3 axis homing right now.

Apparently, it's the flappy paddle switch that is making the sizzling noise, so have a new one of those coming. Other power supplies will be used as backup, or for other builds.

Tomorrow, New buttons on the control panel, making a spoil board and hopefully starting some test cuts.

1688423224289.png

Worked on getting the spindle running today. Had to correct a small wiring issue on the spindle side, no big deal.

So spindle spins, and I can control it by manually adjusting the frequency from the front panel. Only issue is I think I should be able to use the little potentiometer on the front panel to do that. Verified all the settings and everything looks correct so not sure what the issue is there.

I'm going to just forge on ahead and see if I can set it up to be controlled by software through my controller board. Unfortunately, something seems a little wacky there. It should be able to output a voltage between 0 and 10 volts. That would require hooking up a 12v power supply to the board, but when I do that the 12v power supply doesn't work. That seems like it would be the simplest way to control the vfd, but there are other options if I can't get that to work.

Need to get ready to go to a 4th of july party, so will have to work through that later.

Really tempted to just button it up and run things manually, but it'll be easier to figure all of this out with it not really setup for now.

Anyhow, here's yet another video, lol.

Calling it Done, at least as far as this thread goes.

Did not get the computer control working with the VFD, but no biggie, I got the potentiometer on the front panel of the VFD working, so that's all good. I'll continue to research it and hopefully get it running later.

Going to order a cable to move the panel from the vfd to my little control panel box.

Cut the spoil board, will mount that down firmly later.

Thank you Carol and Don. I can't tell you how much I appreciate everything.

Time to clean the shop and then get started on some projects!

1688578387109.png
1688578403834.png

I may end up making drawers for the bottom part someday, as well as working on a rotary axis at some point. Next up is flying chips!

But first I need to declutter my mess, lol.