Record Crate Version 2

Brent Dowell

Administrator
Staff member
Well, a buddy who dj's with 45's asked if I could make him some record crates.

Sure thing, the only issue is that if I prebuild them, they are pretty good sized, and are expensive to ship. So I redesigned the crates to a knock down design that uses 10-24 machine screws and cross dowel bolts to hold them together.

It was a first for me as I designed it in sketchup, then imported the vectors into Vcarve to design and cut the pieces.

I also discovered that using a 1/8" up/down cut bit really helped reduce the amount of chipout on the crappy Borg ply I'm using. Yes, I could make these out of better wood, but the crappy ply is part of the charm, lol.

Had to make a number of prototypes to get the fit just right. These slide together easily, with enough friction to make them snug. I leave the tabs a little proud so I a quick sanding should make everything look nice.

So now I can make the boxes and hopefully just slip them in a flat rate box and send them off.

Now I need to work on the crate design for the LP's

Here's the design in sketchup.
rc2_su.jpg

I simplified the SU files and then imported them into vcarve.
rc2_vcarve.jpg

The final prototype/ first production box.
rc2_00001.jpg

Of course part of the project is to laser a logo on the from of the box.
gm.jpg

Now that you have the pattern nailed down, you can just sub the cutting out to a big CNC shop and have them drop ship the product. I'm thinking there are at least dozens of people who would buy these :D

Now that you have the pattern nailed down, you can just sub the cutting out to a big CNC shop and have them drop ship the product. I'm thinking there are at least dozens of people who would buy these :D

Hmmm, What does a business plan for 'dozens' look like, lol.

Hmmm, I wonder if I could sell enough to buy a bigger cnc?

I like the knock-down design, Brent. :thumb:

Looks good! :thumb:

I need to come up with a design to store all 20,000 of my mp3s in. ;)

That's gonna be a little bitty box, lol. :D

AF1GSDI-5ACXX_sml.jpg

You just made me go check the size of my digital music collection.

65 gigabytes so far. But I have another several gig I haven't moved into my library yet.

LP Sized crate design prototype. All I have to do is make the tenons on the sides a touch thicker, but it works well.

I'm really happy with the cheap new laser on my ox CNC. Used lightburn to generate the gcode file and uploaded it to cncjs.

LP Crate.jpg