Refurbished Jet Jointer or Why Do I Do This?

Bill Satko

This is not just a story of the restoration of a jointer but also how simple mistakes and your own tendencies can control your life.

The mistake? Well, that is when in a moment of temporary insanity, I suggest my wife could buy a pottery wheel and put it in a “small” corner of the “shop” (A.K.A the garage). This “small” corner is now growing exponentially with a bench and now a desire for a slab roller. For the uninformed, a slab roller is NOT small. And yes, a kiln is probably just around the corner and also needs for glazing storage.

I am resigned to my fate and it is pushing me to get rid of machinery that I don’t use that much. The jointer is the first on the list. I am pretty handy with hand planes and tend to grab them in order to establish a flat reference face for the planer or joint an edge. So, I have decided to sell the Jet 6” jointer which I hardly ever use now.

Now this is where your own tendencies or predispositions come into play. I have had the jointer for about 15 years, I guess. Surprisingly the infeed and outfeed tables are completely flat and co-planer. Apparently, I got some very good castings that did not warp over time. The only negative with the jointer, it was a little grubby and has some chipped paint. Jet did not do a good job of painting it. Any normal person would have just put it on Craigslist and be done with it. Okay, maybe a little better than your normal Craigslist listing, I could try and clean it up. You know, make it look nice.

So, I did that, but still it bothered me. The fence looked the worst to me.

IMG_1444.jpg

Hmm, maybe I could just paint that. It would be easy to remove and simple to paint. I scraped chipped areas, sanded and then primed and painted it. It looked wonderful! Only problem was it was such a stark contrast to the rest of the jointer.

Well maybe I could also just paint the casting that held the fence? A little more involved as I would have to remove many parts as it slides the fence in and out and at different angles. I did it and again the result was beautiful.
IMG_1458.jpg

I think all of you must now know where this is going. The contrast now was even more glaring. I realized there was no going back and I had to totally take the entire jointer apart and repaint it. Putting this on Craiglist as is would have taken about 15 minutes. I just created a project that would take me through a several months during the dead of winter. I just didn’t have enough dedicated time to do it faster.

To mitigate painting in the shop (garage) during the winter, I built an insulated box with two holes and stuck a light bulb in one and used the other as a vent. I would heat up the shop to painting temperature, shut down all ignition sources (the heat), spray paint the part and allow it to skim over with the box over it (without turning on the light). Once the paint skimmed over, I turned on the 150-watt bulb and then let it cure. Also, before painting the part, I covered it with the box with light on and brought it up nice warm temperature. All of this worked great but extended my painting time as I could only paint most parts one at a time.
IMG_1456.jpg

I have to admit to some trepidation in pulling the base, infeed table and outfeed table completely apart. What if I can’t get it all back together correctly? I even explored the possibility of masking off various parts and spray painting the entire assembly somehow. I soon became resigned that the result would not be good.

When I said that the Jet factory did not do a good job of painting the jointer… well, that was a bit of an understatement. It appears that they partially assemble the jointer and then paint it, as I found paint all over places. Places I did feel it should have been, like machined surfaces (the gibs and adjusting screws). A good portion of my time was spent removing paint, grime, rust, etc. from all the parts including all the screws and nuts.
IMG_1462.jpgIMG_1469.jpgIMG_1470.jpgIMG_1482.jpgIMG_1483.jpg

IMG_1480.jpgIMG_1475.jpg

Once everything was painted, assembly started and went surprisingly well. I probably spent more time and used up all my creative vocabulary on getting drive belt tensioned and properly aligned.
IMG_1490.jpgIMG_1496.jpgIMG_1547.jpgIMG_1549.jpgIMG_1550.jpg
So, have I learned anything from all of this? Probably not, but we will see. The table saw is next.

:rofl:

Well Bill, there is no disputing that it is at this point literally better than new.

I have a small (in relative terms) pile of of various things that have either been refurbished or are intended to be refurbished. I'm pretty sure its some sort of disease we acquired somewhere. I don't think there's a cure.

:rofl:

Well Bill, there is no disputing that it is at this point literally better than new.

I have a small (in relative terms) pile of of various things that have either been refurbished or are intended to be refurbished. I'm pretty sure its some sort of disease we acquired somewhere. I don't think there's a cure.

Yes, I do feel it is better than new and I do think it is a disease, but I think it was also a case me being embarrassed that it was dirty looking and had chipped paint. I know, I know, it is used and should have wear and tear.

Cleaned up really nice Bill, I'm sure your wife will enjoy the extra space. :thumb:

Funny how things have changed. She was so grateful to have a small space in a corner and now I am starting to feel grateful to be allowed my space which continues to shrink. Still trying to figure how this all happened!

Sooo pretty! Still gonna sell it? :D

Ironic that you ask. I have been dragging my feet in listing it which the wife picked up on. "When are you going to sell it?" It's just so nice now and I am having second thoughts. I told her maybe next week, too busy this week. I think I need time to reestablish my decision to sell it. I need the space.

i hear jet is hiring and this would look good on your resume:) oh thats right your to old for the opening.. also that was just sinful painting it on your wonderful bench you made a few years ago.. if bill has anything for sale, i can assure you its in great shape and worth the shipping cost..

Well, the guy I sold it to was very happy with it. I sold all my machine tools and they all moved quickly, but none had more interest than the Jet 6" jointer. I was swamped with phone calls on it from all over, including Seattle. I found out these used jointers are in real demand and in short supply in our area.

That is a pretty amazing transformation. I'm sure the guy you sold it too is thrilled with having a 'brand new' jointer!

quick bill! before you lose any more space! build her her own she shed for her pottery stuff. that, or set aside a good sized part of your basement (if there is one), before you lose your shop area entirely.....

quick bill! before you lose any more space! build her her own she shed for her pottery stuff. that, or set aside a good sized part of your basement (if there is one), before you lose your shop area entirely.....
Well not only did I sell most of my tools, I sold the shop/ house and we are temparily living in an apartment with a one car garage which we are sharing for shop space. You can see her new slab roller. The wheel is coming next week out of storage.
I am not sure how well clay and wood mixes
Well it is only until the end of May.
IMG_20200216_150041060.jpgIMG_20200216_150102172.jpg

Wow! That's quite a change! Can't wait to see what things will be like once you are out of the temporary space!

Your shop is far too neat and organized, Bill. And I'll bet you can get lots more done in it than I can in my mess-fest. :D

After reading all this, I've decided that you are your own worst enemy, and you give in way too easily. You had better plan on building a new shop 2 X the size of your biggest dream of a wood shop, so she can have half of it. A solid wall partition should run down the middle, or you may end up loosing half of that shop too

Charley.

After reading all this, I've decided that you are your own worst enemy, and you give in way too easily. You had better plan on building a new shop 2 X the size of your biggest dream of a wood shop, so she can have half of it. A solid wall partition should run down the middle, or you may end up loosing half of that shop too

Charley.
You are right Charley. We do plan on separated shops. I am actually enjoying working in a small space and because my various interests probably will be building several smaller spaces to house them. I am happy that my wife has the same passion as I do about creating things. We can't imagine living any other way.