Remember when designing...

When I was ten my dad made me a nice big desk. It was great! As long as it was in the garage things went well. Then came the day when the varnish was dry and it was time to move it into my room... at the top of the stairs...

After him pushing and me pulling, we got it up the stairs, but no matter which way we turned it, it was not going through the doorway. so, back down the stairs to lop off 6" of the front of it and back up the stairs. It didn't weigh 400# but it sure felt like it.

That was 9 moves ago. I still have it.

Alan

When we moved into this house LOML wanted me to make her a desk, It was more like a counter, it had to be 9 feet long. The room was at the end of a hall way with a 90 degree turn to get into the the door. In order to get it into her office the only wat was to remove the window from it's frame and then pass it through the window since there was no way to get the things around the corner.

LOL. Do you have it on wheels?
Yeah, on some 3 wheel casters that go under each leg. It takes about all I've got to just lift one side of the unit and pull it over on top of them, they only raise it about 3/4". It's almost too heavy for them, but they've been champs so far. At least she emptied it this time. It started life as our entertainment center with lots of drawer for CDs and VHS tapes, then I converted it to a dry bar. She's wanting to store photo albums in it this next phase of its life.

61wKH9yRXsL._AC_SL1100_.jpg

A good reminder. All my residential pieces so far have been made to fit through 30” interior doors. Anybody know anyone with a spinning wheel? I have seen some major work done to get a spinning wheel in the house ;-)

A good reminder. All my residential pieces so far have been made to fit through 30” interior doors. Anybody know anyone with a spinning wheel? I have seen some major work done to get a spinning wheel in the house ;-)

We have (I think..) nine but none of them are great wheels and we only have three larger wheels (a Canadian production is the biggest with a thirty some inch wheel) so they were all fairly easy to move.

Now you want to talk about projects get into large floor looms. Even our small "portable" 36" loom is a bear to move. At least the floor looms are made to come apart but the big ones are basically a bunch of long beams that would be fun to get around right corners.

Amusing story on design. We visited one of the Frank Lloyd Wright houses a few years ago. He was famous (notorious even) for enforcing his theories of living on people. One of the features of this house was a build in aclove for a small loom that was one of the few mandatory requirements the homeowners had imposed. He apparently didn't measure the ladies loom so she had to have a new one custom made a bit smaller so it would fit.

I remember those massive pieces of furniture... in 1977 or 78 I bought a desk from my company when one of the managers got a new more massive one... the one I got was 6" long, nearly 40" wide and the only way to move it was to take the legs off and up end it on a furniture dolly... (I usually had to move it myself as the kid was only 6 and the wife had long departed.).... I moved that desk 4 times before I decided I didn't need it anymore. I sold it in a garage sale and it took 3 men to pick it up and set in the buyer's truck.

I bought a desk from my company when one of the managers got a new more massive one... the one I got was 6" long, nearly 40" wide and the only way to move it was to take the legs off and up end it on a furniture dolly...

The boss has a commercial "HDF" desk that was solidly 2" maybe more thick all over made from High Density (and I mean HIGH DENSITY) fiber board with a super thick heavy laminate over it. Luckily it came apart, the whole thing was at least 300lbs, the top was over 100lbs. I finally got sick of moving it after the third move and we negotiated something lighter. You apparently had one move move worth of pain tolerance than I did haha.