Remote Speed Control for PC Router - UPDATE

Bill Arnold

Staff member
I have a PC 7518 router (motor 75182) in my router table. I would like to add a remote speed control to it, since it's a bit unwieldy to have to lift it from the table to adjust speed for different size bits. Since it has a speed control on it, it's my understanding that adding an electrical speed control is not advisable. I've seen a mechanical remote that works on rotary speed controls; the PC is a slider.

Suggestions?

OK, so I'm determined!!!

After opening the 75182 motor and checking the internals, I decided to remove the internal speed control. It seems a straight-forward process. The speed control is simply in series with the hot lead to the motor, so here goes.

A quick look at the internals showed the speed control tucked in by the slider. I pulled it up, traced the wires and started hacking. The photos should tell the story. After rearranging the wires, I plugged in the router and it ran just fine. I plugged in the external controller and all seemed just fine. Additional testing of the variable speeds seems to be as expected. More on that as I try different processes.

PC_Mod-a.jpgPC_Mod-b.jpgPC_Mod-c.jpg

Being sure all was working as expected, I mounted the speed control beside the main switch for the router.

PC_Mod-d.jpg