Repurpose a Washer or Dryer Motor?

Mike Turner

I know in the near future we are going to have to replace our washer and dryer.They have been good ones. I havent looked at what is on them but generally speaking are the motors on them any good for a grinder to sharpen my lathe tools?I already have one but was just thinking about using them on another one...Just a thought.

Dryer motors are generally fractional horsepower (maybe 1/6 ~ 1/4 hp) single speed motors that might be usable for a buffer, etc, but not much else.

Washer motors are generally slightly more powerful - maybe 1/3 ~ 1/2 hp. - and may be two speed and/or reversible. Again, not usable for much more than a buffer, or maybe a grinder if only light pressure is applied to the wheels.

Both motor types will likely require fashioning some sort of mount in order to be usable, since their frames are typically bolted directly to the appliances they come out of.

When building your own grinder, be very aware of the rpm's due to your choice of pulleys. Grinding wheels are designed for a maximum rpm, exceed it and they can come apart (explode) easily.

I hadnt really looked at these motors ...just knew i needed to replace appliances sometime soon...Think Ill pass on idea...Already have a grinder anyhow..j

Many many years ago someone gave me a motor, presumably from a washing machine. Back in the days when they didn't design all the metal out of them, and it looked like a real motor with a normal mounting plate, etc.

A couple years later we moved to an old house in Pennsylvania. Inspection of the house before closing and it was fine, but after closing it was freezing. The ancient octopus furnace had died. The oil burner was working fine, but it shut down when the fan didn't come on. Shortening a very long story, that washing machine (or whatever) motor had made it in the first moving load and was pressed into service by 10 o'clock that night, and the heat worked for the next couple years (until I replaced the furnace with a more efficient unit).

I now have a lifetime pass about collecting junk that looks like it should have been thrown out years ago.