resawing mdf?

larry merlau

i have been asked to repair a drawer:( i did everything i could to deter him from having me do it.. he isnt fussy and has no time frame. i told him he could buy a different piece of furniture cheaper than fixing this one.. still wants it fixed:(. so my idea is to resaw the good face off and glue it to a piece of maple.. so that means resawing it to a thickness of a small 1/8" thick. to get the fake pattern on it. but would have real wood for the main joinery.. pics below. any one resawed mdf? any other ideas?

Attachments

• center.jpg
    center.jpg
    97.4 KB · Views: 39
  • corner.jpg
    corner.jpg
    61.7 KB · Views: 41
  • frnt.jpg
    frnt.jpg
    105.6 KB · Views: 40
  • left side.jpg
    left side.jpg
    76 KB · Views: 34
  • right side.jpg
    right side.jpg
    78.9 KB · Views: 37
I'd be tempted to try and find an off cut of maple backed mdfcore plywood from a local cabinet shop and glue the resawed face onto that...even if I had to plane off one face of the mdf to make the thickness right.

my intent was to glue to solid wood ted. thought about the sanding jim.. also might be a good idea to double stick tape it to a plywood backer to avoid a wrinkle when sanding

Repaired and back in service, resawed the MDF front to 3/16" then made a relief in the new front to accept it. redid all groves, sliding dovetail on the sides to attach to front. then had to match color of the insert. got pretty close with some assistance from Jim Delany. It was in pieces when i got it and dog chewed.

Attachments

• color final.jpg
    color final.jpg
    87.8 KB · Views: 14
  • end final.jpg
    end final.jpg
    106.6 KB · Views: 14
  • frnt final.jpg
    frnt final.jpg
    112.3 KB · Views: 14