Restoring bent clamp

Hi guys. s.
Three years ago the father of a woman who is a friend of mine, died and she gave me some of of his tools. For some strange reason this man painted all his tools green, which apart from not being my taste, rendered them not so usable IMHO. So I got a pair of clamps that I want to restore (I'll post the process later on) but one of them is slightly bent at the top jaw.
Question: Would you try to straighten it? If so how? Or would you take the easy way out and remove the rivets and cut away that bent part, knowing that the clamp would become about two inches shorter and put the jaw back on?
See illustrative pic attchedIMG_6470.JPG

It's going to be hard to get that bar straightened without heating it, so disassembly will likely be required anyway.
Is the clamp's length critical to what you need? If not, I'd take the easy way out and just cut the bent part off.
Wonder why the previous owner painted the bar?

Try some solvents to get the green paint off. Start with the more mild solvents like alcohol, then acetone, then paint thinner, and then lacquer thinner. When all else fails, start with a citrus based paint stripper. Ketone would be next, if you can find it.

For straightening, I think Jim suggested what I would do to fix it. Good luck!

Charley

As stated, I would, if I could get the head off, just cut the bent part off (Marines always think alike). And as stated,,, wow,,, I would get rid of that green paint!! Maybe his thinking was, if I paint them ugly,,, no one will steal them..

Cuting the bent part away is my first choice, length is not critical, so applying the saying that you never have enough clamps that’s what I’ll do. It will also ease the process of ripping off the green paint.
Why did he paint them? Honestly I do not know. He painted all his tools, the thread of the clamps and handles, the hammer heads and their handles and so forth.
Maybe he was colour blind and that’s the only way he could see them. But it is a really wierd decision IMHO.

Cuting the bent part away is my first choice, length is not critical, so applying the saying that you never have enough clamps that’s what I’ll do. It will also ease the process of ripping off the green paint.
Why did he paint them? Honestly I do not know. He painted all his tools, the thread of the clamps and handles, the hammer heads and their handles and so forth.
Maybe he was colour blind and that’s the only way he could see them. But it is a really wierd decision IMHO.
I've seen where people paint their tools a specific color when working on jobsites to make sure they know what tools are theirs, but that's the only reasonable reason I can see, lol.

I've seen where people paint their tools a specific color when working on jobsites to make sure they know what tools are theirs, but that's the only reasonable reason I can see, lol.
My dad did exactly this. Had to know his tools, in a large shop. His were dark green tho, I have many, proudly.