Robustfest pics

Ned Bulken

Mark k. and I had a blast yesterday, we trekked down to Bill Grumbine's Robustfest in his shop. 19 hour day, but it was well worth the trip.

Bill had a great turnout, there were about 20 or so of us there from several forums; woodcentral had a strong contingent: Ellis, Ron and Dominic, Joe plus a couple of local turners, And I assure you a good time was had by all. We all got out in the field for some log cutting, then we moved back into the shop and bill cut a hefty blank on his bandsaw.

and here he is 'breaking in' the new Robust
billfirstcut.jpg

more pics to follow as soon as they upload to photobucket.

Hey Ned! It was great to meet you all. Everyone was a lot of fun - it was like one big room full of twisted humor.

Thanks again to Bill for hosting it, letting me play with his chainsaw, and letting me snag one of those pieces of silver maple. And of course thanks to his wife for the wonderful meal.

I've just signed up and am having a look around. Looks like a nice place you've got here ;)

-Joe

Joe
Welcome aboard! Yep, that was a blast yesterday, I'm hooked for certain! Thanks again for the help in cutting up those ash blanks. I can't wait to get over to Mark's shop and get them looking like a bowl or something... most likely 'something' knowing me. :rofl:

Any time. I remember when I was standing exactly where you were last night, desperately trying to figure out what I was supposed to do with this beautiful piece of wood in front of me. How do I not destroy it?!?

I've finally realized it doesn't really matter what I do to it. Once I get it on the lathe it'll turn into something, whether it wants to or not :)

Be sure to get in touch if you guys ever find yourselves heading to NJ.

-Joe

Welcome Joe, you have a few on me, you got to meet Bill, Ned and Mark, all things I'd like to do, and you got to see that new Robust in person, paint me GREEN with envy! :D

I went to a turners meeting today, with NO turning, we had a workshop on how inverters work and how to change the bearings on a lathe...... :rolleyes:

But I scored some really nice chunks of wood, and sold some of my clamps at club members discount, so it was a good day.

One of the things I learned from the guy giving the dissertation on the inverters is that not all inverters are created equal, (Maybe you guys call the inverters VFD?) he also said that the one on the Robust lathe is by far and away the best on one the market and certainly the best one on any lathe for sale at the moment.

That pic looks great Ned, the lighting makes the lathe bed look like it has shark's teeth like this..........

p40_warhawk.jpg

Hey Bill, you just need to paint the eyes on it! :D :rofl:

billsrobust.jpg

Interesting, I didn't see that, but that's a cool reference.

there's a shot of just the lathe itself.

kidwithnewtoy.jpg

Doesn't he look happy?

passingnickeltest.jpg

There's Dominic, and oh, by the way, look closely you can see that the lathe is passing the nickel test with flying colors!

Stu if just knowing I was there made you green with envy... I'm afraid your case just got immeasurably worse
nedturning.jpg

me

markturning1.jpg

mark

curlies.jpg

Nice pics, looks like you guys had a great time as evidenced by the smiles and shavings.

Congrats to Bill on the new lathe and to you guys for making it to the event.:thumb:

Man, you guys look like you had a great time! That's one SWEET lathe!

Bill, you are one lucky guy! Wish PA was a little closer so I could make it!

newgouge.jpg

There's Bill sharpening one of his several new Doug Thompson tools, with snazzy new tiger maple handles.

And oh, by the way, there's our newest member Joe Fisher on the right...

plus

some blank prep in the field

arrrrgh.jpg

Bill, Mark, Steve K from canada and Joe

bigmaple.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
darnlight.jpg

Joe's turn at the lathe,
I was concentrating on the shavings flying off, didn't notice the lamp blocking his face. SOrry Joe

arrrrgh.jpg

Bernie you should see Bill's field of fun chunks of tree... truly amazing!

blankprep.jpg

for reference, that's an MM20. I think Bill needs to upgrade his bandsaw next.

And, just for Sam Blasco's edification...

I wonder if this is what minmax intended that multi tool to do...

bestuseofaminmax.jpg

some of the talented turners brought their own works, plus some of Bill's handiwork

OK, time for me to get off of my duff and get some sheathing done.

Bill,
thanks so much for a wonderful day. I'll be calling you to schedule some lessons when I get my lathe, probably in the spring. Thanks again to you and Lisa for a delicious dinner as well!

Ned

darnlight.jpg

Joe's turn at the lathe,
I was concentrating on the shavings flying off, didn't notice the lamp blocking his face. SOrry Joe
Every shot is of the back of my head, and the one with me face-on is blocked by a light. You tryin' to tell me something? :) :)

-Joe

Joe,
Maybe it's you face:rofl:.

I have a question.

Does it turn as nice as the one at home. BTW good seeing you again, even if it was just in pictures. Sorry I missed you this year.

Joe,
Maybe it's you face:rofl:.

I have a question.

Does it turn as nice as the one at home. BTW good seeing you again, even if it was just in pictures. Sorry I missed you this year.

You're a regular laugh riot :)

While I did enjoy playing with the Robust, I think I made the right decision to go with the Stubby. I don't think one machine is inherently better than the other, but the Stubby fits my turning style and workshop better than the Robust.

Speaking of which, I bought a belt grinder for another project and was finally able to get your toolrests to fit in the Stubby's banjo. I'm much happier now :)

Hope to see you next year!

-Joe