Rosewood utility knife

Mike Stafford

I don't know if this wood is rosewood or not. I have had this wood for more than 20 years and it has not darkened much at all. I bought this wood in a shorts and cutoff deal from a vendor in Maine. I bought a lot of wood from that guy and used it as accent pieces in my jewelry boxes. It is definitely not padauk It smells like a rosewood when you cut it. I have never seen any wood quite like it. It is not redheart either; much harder.

Anyway this little feller was made because I had a small piece of steel left over from a blade and I sketched out this knife to use it. About 6 1/2" and sharp enough to shave with. Heck, it is sharp enough to do surgery with. :p

IMG_8818 mod.jpg

Could be rosewood, pretty enough either way!

Wondering about the slight drop point on the design? I'm assuming there's some utility to it and this isn't a style I've used much.

What ever irt is, I really like this knife. The others are great but thi one is outstanding in my view. To bad I can't figure out aneed for it.
David

Wondering about the slight drop point on the design? I'm assuming there's some utility to it and this isn't a style I've used much."

I like that drop. Believe it would help make the knife a good skinner even if not a perfectly authentic style for that use.