Router for PC dovetail jig

Jay Lock

Hi everyone

I broke down and bought a PC jig in the spring, used in once with my Festool plunge router. It was a bit tricky setting up the depth, but my first resuts "weren't bad" for someone who had never used one. So I"m wondering what is the best value for a fixed base router that will take PC guides that I can use to "dial in" the setting and just leave it alone so I don't have to waste time setting up the router every time I use the jig.

Thanks

Last edited:
S

Steve Clardy

I use the pc 690L

Last time I was on Amazon.com there was some factory rebuilds for $85.00

I almost got a couple more just because of the price.

But I have several spares already

Jay Lock

Steve

Thanks, if you 've got a link to that price I'd appreciate it since I'm not finding anything less than about $119

Jay

S

Steve Clardy

Steve

Thanks, if you 've got a link to that price I'd appreciate it since I'm not finding anything less than about $119

Jay

I'll go look again.

They also had Hatachi single speeds on sale then.
I bought two for my pocket cutter demo units. So far, they are nice routers. They also use the pc guide bushings.

I'll be back in a bit.

Steve Ash

Bonus...when I bought my Delta 15" planer there were several free gifts to choose from you got for purchasing the planer. I chose the PC 690LR. I have the PC 4212 on my Christmas wishlist (which I know my bride will get) so I can use this router as a dedicated router for that jig.

Since I know nothing about the jig, would it be beneficial to have 2 routers set up as a dedicated tool(s) for each set up? I am assuming there are two different cutters to use making dovetails.

Greg Cook

Steve,

I have 2 690LRs for dovetailing. Changing templets, bits, is a real pain. I lucked out finding the one on craigslist, but bargains are out there for a second one.

Jay Lock

Thanks everyone, well there are LOTS of sources I didn't know about.

Steve, for a half blind joint you only need one bit with the PC jig.

Jay

S

Steve Clardy

don't mean to hijack, but steve, what are you referring to when you say pocket cutter demo units? :huh:

thanks
chris
A friend and I have developed a pocket cutter to fill the gap between a kreg unit, and a 8-900.00 machine.
I sent Jim Hagar one just yesterday to try it out.
I have been using one in my shop for several months now to get the bugs worked out.
I can't market them here, but heres a pic.

Last edited:

Greg Cook

I bought a new, in the box, "D" handle for $50 on craigslist. Here's one of my 690s on it, and I need to decide to modify the cord, or just live with it tied up?

Greg Cook

Thanks, Tod...I was hoping for a comment. So I guess it doesn't get in the way that much, even for use on a dovetail jig? I mean from a "hassle" factor...

Last edited:

tod evans

greg, that`s a question only you can answer......but be sure to factor in the hassel of extending the cord again should you want to use the router elsewhere......tod