router not raising high enough in lift plate for proper bit instal solution.

Keith Thomas

I am not sure if anyone else has this problem. I had it with my old router plate also , to a slightly lesser degree with the Jesse plate I switched to. the router would not come up far enough. The router collet would be low so the bit shank could not go down as far as I would like to have the bit profile above the table AND have the bit seated all the way in the collet. With small bits I didn't care to much but it always bothered me with panel bits and other large bits like that. Seems un safe and I feel like I was getting a little extra vibration though that could have been my imagination. I would end up with over a 5/8" of shank showing and even with the bit set that high it would only leave me with maybe an 1/8" to raise the router further up if I needed to make adjustments to the cut.

So I decided to do something about it and it was pretty simple. I'm not ever going to use the router out of the table. its a Hitachi m12v2 by the way. so I took it off the guide tubes and took out the springs and any spring guides but that didn't help. So upon further inspection I decided the the only solution was to cut the tube down. This router had one tube taller than the other and the tall one bottomed out on something in the router. so I cut a little more than a 1/2" off that tube. Now
the the collet almost sits flush with the top of my router plate. Bits can be fully seated like they should.

Has any one else had that problem?

i used to have a 12mv Hitachi and never had a problem with in in any insert you ight have had it positioned wrong to begin with.
When you raise your router to the top where is your collet in relation to the top of the table?
I have a 12mv also that was attached to the used lift I bought But the one I'm using is a 12mv-2 (or something like that). its a little different than the 12mv.

They make offset wrenches for that purpose.

Charley
I don't thinks this is a case of not being able to reach the collet nut. It's more a case of the collet being so low in the table that he's having to leave a substantial length of the cutter's shaft out of the collet in order to get the bit high enough to use.

They make extension shafts for making router bits longer, but that is very hard on the router bearings. Maybe a longer bit can be found. Locking a bit into a router collet that isn't at least 60% in will likely fly out under load and is very dangerous to try.

Be careful when trying these choices. A spinning bit at 20,000 rpm on the loose can do a lot of damage, hopefully not to the operator.

Charley