routers

bill kaminski

so, been looking at plunge models..I have a 690, and a 890 PC..both fixed base
kinda settled on a trim size..the Makita has been the front runner
seems as if there are several 'clones' too..just saw that Grizzly has one, on sale for $77.00 + shipping
your opinion's are wanted..a plunge base for the 690 would be fine, but are scarce, and too much $$$

I bought this one - DWP611PK - some years back and I have never regretted the purchase. The fixed base set up is much like a trim router (barrel grip) and the plunge base is smooth and accurate. I have a 690 with both the fixed and plunge base, but I save it for when I need either more power or to use a 1/2" or 8mm shank bit. The DeWalt is my go-to router for about 80% of the work I do. I would not hesitate to recommend it unless your work demanded you not be able to use 1/4" shank bits.

Despite being a Bosch Colt user (early adopter) there are a few things about them that are unnecessarily fiddly. They were also way-late in getting the plunge base to market which makes the Colt so much better. If I were starting today I would go with the DeWalt. It is a little larger but, in the way I use this class of router that is a total non-issue. Their fine adjustment mechanism is better, motor swaps are easier, and they are harder to lose thanks to that bright yellow paint job :p.

The Makita can come with a lot of trick little accessories targeting the counter top installer. While these are well made and praised by those folks, that is not how I use my palm routers. Consider your use case, compare features and keep it simple. (y)