RPi on Laser

Bill Arnold

Staff member
I'm building a stand-alone assembly for my laser system from J-Tech, using Jay's grbl BOB. His board has grbl 1.1f installed on it and seems to work fine on bench testing I've done. I've been looking at options for incorporating an RPi into the assembly to make it wireless.

Have any of you looked at grblWeb or the like?

I'm open to any and all suggestions.

Thanks!

It's also pretty general purpose, I'm planning onusing it on my cnc when I get it back up and running. Getting closer, but so work is pretty demanding this time of year.

The interface looks clean enough. I'll start through the installation on an RPi module in the morning.

My big problem is remembering the steps I used adding the RPi to my 3D printer. My brain cells aren't as young as they used to be!

I was talking to Darren today about using a different IDE for Arduino stuff. I'm going to have to do something this weekend with it or I'm afraid it will be like starting from square one next time I try and use it.

I've got a 4 port KVM (Keyboard Video Monitor) Switch on my main workstation here at home. I only use 3 ports and have an extra usb and hdmi cable running from it for when I want to do pi type stuff. I just plug the pi in and switch it right up. Way easier to use it just like it was a computer for setup and configuration type stuff.

Once that's done I usually enable VNC on the pi so I can connect to it using VNC view over the network and can dispense with having it directly connected.

(Been a while since I played with a Raspberry PI so I'm surprised i remembered all that!)

I got one of the 5" RPi monitors a while back and started through the setup. Then, got busy with real work and stopped playing. Now, I need to finish getting that going along with adding the functionality for wireless connectivity via VNC. After that, maybe I can get CNCjs going for a test. Sounds straightforward, but . . . :)