Rural Mailbox 3 1/4" High

Charles Lent

Staff member
Not really carving, but I couldn't find a better place to put this. Mods, please move or delete this post as you choose.

This is a compound scroll saw cutting of a pattern by Dianne Thompson, but I made a few small modifications before cutting it. This is one of the new items that I'm considering making for this coming Christmas.

I'm experimenting right now to find the best sequence to follow for cutting it out. This one is poplar and the 4 made previously were pine. The original pattern had the flag sticking straight up out of the top center of the mailbox, and this was necessary to be able to make the entire project in onee piece with no glue. But I didn't like the appearance, so I decided to make the flag and shaft as a separate piece and attach it to the side of the finished mailbox. It was still cut from the same block of wood, but as a separate piece. I used a #1R Flying Dutchman blade to cut this one, and need to try a few others to see if I can get better results and cut it out faster. This one took almost 50 minutes. For this one I used marking pens to color the flag and the leaves on the vine, but will likely try something else next time. I didn't apply any finish to this piece, but usually use just a clear lacquer spray.

In the background are some tote boxes that I've also been making overr the last 2 weeks out of 10mm (3/8") Baltic Birch plywood. I'll save the pictures of these for another post.

Charley

Attachments

• MVC-726FLoRes.jpg
    MVC-726FLoRes.jpg
    109.6 KB · Views: 48
:eek: :huh:. One piece you say, yeah I guess I can see how to get there from here but not a lot of room for oops. Looks pretty darn good too. I like the flag where you have it, looks like a proper mailbox.

Very nice, Charlie. Good call on moving the flag. It looks better there. My missus would buy one of those in a flash to sit on her window sill along with the little carved birds.:thumb::thumb:

The problem is that it took me about 50 minutes to cut. If I can't figure out how to cut it accurately in less time I won't be making a bunch of them for Christmas. I've managed to reduce the time that it takes me to cut the same size reindeer to about 8 minutes, so they are easy to make and fun now. So far, these mailboxes are quite a challenge and take way too long to cut so far. I did send the first one to my sister, packed in a large prescription pill bottle so it would survive the trip. On the outside of the box, in large letters I wrote "You've Got Mail". She was quite impressed when she opened it and called me immediately.

Charley