Sanders

Paul B Cresti

Hey guys,
Have any of you guys out there used a single or double drum sander and been happy with it's results? I do not want or desire an open end unit so I do not need input on those. A widebelt would be nice but not in the cards right now.

paul, i used to own a woodmaster and it did okay.....but even with a 5hp baldor it was slow.....did okay though....

Double drum griz.
I can't express my regrets I feel about this thing.

paul, i used to own a woodmaster and it did okay.....but even with a 5hp baldor it was slow.....did okay though....

Well then again I am slow to begin with too! I am beginning to realize that I may not have the cash or the fortitude to make those BIG purchases anymore. It is nice not worry about any bills. I guess my point is do they work and are they worth even having in the shop?

Paul. Unless you are doing lots od panels, [cabinet doors] probably not.
If I was to do it again, I'd probably go with the woodmaster or general.

Dual Drum Sanders

We own a 25" Woodtek dual drum sander and have been very pleased with it.:D

We use 80 grit on the front drum and 120 grit on the rear drum. It has been very reliable over the past 4-5 years.

We would highly recommend it.:D

Last edited:
Are these type of sanders worth it for sanding of parts before assembly (to cut down on ROS time), sanding moldings (flat of course), and surfacing highly figured wood? I do some doors but not a lot. Most of my doors involve a flat panel made from resawing...so there is some need for quick finishing there. I guess the idea of hogging down stock will not be my case....it is primarily a finishing type machine.

paul, the woodmaster was tons better than by hand!....off the shelf parts ect....look for variable feed on the conveyor whatever brand you choose, that and the largest diameter hook-n-loop roller you can get........tod

paul, the woodmaster was tons better than by hand!....off the shelf parts ect....look for variable feed on the conveyor whatever brand you choose, that and the largest diameter hook-n-loop roller you can get........tod

It looks like the woodmaster is the only one that offers hook'n'loop....not to mention I like that it is made in the USA :)

Problem is I think I can only fit the 24" one and it only comes in a single drum config but I think I can get variable speed and a 7.5hp 3ph motor. It does sound interesting that one can load one grit on one side of the drum than another grit on the other (because of the hook'n'loop system). This of course assuming you are only doing parts....other than being slow where there any other issues that you had with it?

Those cantilevered desings just plain scare me...being that my day job consists with dealing with structural engineers, steel framing.& cantilevered structures...it is a plain fact that cantilevers will flex......not something I would like on a sander

I have the 22-44, and it does flex. Mostly, when I touch it:doh:, otherwise not much. I do still have to sand with the ROS , but it sure beats flattening panels by hand.

Hi Paul, not sure how much you want to spend, but I seen the Oliver 24" Osillating double Drum Demoed @ my lumber supplier, with 120 on the last drum it came out looking like it was sanded w/220, this is also alot heavier built machine than the others I have seen ( Grizzly General Int, ect) .I guess it depends on how much you are going to use it, my widebelt gets used as much as my saw. I had a Performax, that I thought was great when I first got it, probably expected to much, but it did work (SLOW) and it always knew when the last pass was on a door because it would leave a nice burn mark the full lenght:mad: cant say I miss it much.

Truth be told I was waiting on a widebelt based upon some jobs that seemed to be coming in....but they never did and I canceled my order. It was between a MM 37" or a Patriot 1 37" from Midwest Sandright. They were both great machines...very hard choice Italian VS American....

So now I find myself still wanting to get some kind of wide sanding capabilites but do not have a job backing them. I have loads of work in my own house but my wife does not pay so well....well at least in the green way ;) ....maybe I have answered my own question and I should just continue to wait...

By the way those Asian made heavier duty double drum sanders are made for Extrema, Oliver & General International, I have not seen them under the Grizzly label.

Oh almost forgot...I found a used (barely used 25hours) General International 25" double drum in Carrolton, GA for sale by Carolina Woodworking consultants. It is to far for me to take a look at but it seems like it is in very good shape if anyone else is interested...

Last edited: