Sanding & Stuff

steve ramsey

I've been using basic sandpaper for sanding my lathe projects and am looking to pick up a sanding system. Not sure if I want to get locked into a particular system and would like to stay generic. I have a H&L foam pad for my 3/8" vs drill motor and this works well but I am looking for something maybe a little faster/better. There is so much out there I am getting confused.

Also thinking of a bottom feeder gouge. Any suggestions here.

Bottom feeders are available from various sources. I like Doug Thompson's tools, but D-Way has a good reputation too. I learned about the tool/grind in a class from Trent Bosch a few years ago and just reground one of my old deep flute bowl gouges.

My sanding discs come from Vince at VincesWoodNWonders. He's been around a while, shows up at turning symposiums and worked hard to develop his business. His success made him a target for another supplier who elected to co-opt part of Vince's name and sell similar products. I have a stock of 2" and 3" discs in grits from 60 to 600, with accompanying pads. Haven't had to buy any lately, so don't know what the latest and best is. Give Vince a call and see what he suggests.

Another advocate for Vince's WoodNwonders... about all I use any more.

Not going to be much help on the gouge... most of my gouges are all Hurricane's from The Woodturning Store....they are a lot less expensive than some of the other name brands and accomplish the same thing. ((Plus I tend to be cheap.))

Another vote here for Vince at Vince's WoodNWonders. Great products and a knowledgeable guy running the company. :thumb: It took me a few years to figure it out, but I found that using quality sanding products makes a big difference in the ease of sanding and the quality of finishes pieces.

I have bought from Vince's Wooden Wonders, The Sanding Glove and WoodTurnersWonders. They all provide excellent products at reasonable prices with good service.

WoodTurnersWonders offers quite an amazing line of not only sanding products but also tools, safety equipment and sharpening systems.

My sanding material for lathe work is MicroMesh. The stuff might wear out eventually but has been going for a long time already. When it needs refreshing I just toss is the washer with clothes. It comes in sets from coarse to very fine. I have two sets but am still using #1. My experience with gouges is all over the board. Most are name brand but some are garage sale finds. The one I like the least is a Thompson. Just doesn't hold an edge at all. A couple I like the best are garage sale finds. They look antique and are only marked as "cast steel". Take an edge beautifully and hold it near forever.

...The one I like the least is a Thompson. Just doesn't hold an edge at all...
If your cast steel gouges are holding an edge longer than a Thompson gouge something is out of whack. Either a bad batch of gouges on Thompson's part or the garage sale gouges are made of Miraculum or Unobtanium. Yours is the only report I've ever seen of a Thompson tool not holding an edge.

Talked to Vince yesterday. he recommended the Film Tech disc, we'll see how it goes. I anticipate it will be a big improvement over what I have been doing. Vince was very helpful and I let him know he was highly recommended on FFW. Also ordered a bottom feeder gouge from Carter & Sons. Last item on the list is another CBN wheel. I have a 180 and probably will add a 100.

If your cast steel gouges are holding an edge longer than a Thompson gouge something is out of whack. Either a bad batch of gouges on Thompson's part or the garage sale gouges are made of Miraculum or Unobtanium. Yours is the only report I've ever seen of a Thompson tool not holding an edge.
Yep. But it's hold it's edge right now. But that might be because, with my illness, I haven't used the lathe in quite a few months. Whatever my antiques are made from, they are a joy to use.

Yep. But it's hold it's edge right now. But that might be because, with my illness, I haven't used the lathe in quite a few months. Whatever my antiques are made from, they are a joy to use.
I sure hope you get to feeling better soon so you can go out to the shop and play with all your toys, old and new alike. :thumb:

I sure hope you get to feeling better soon so you can go out to the shop and play with all your toys, old and new alike. :thumb:
Thanks. I don't know if that day will ever return. Age takes i'ts toll. This a.m. my feet, knees, hands and elbows were giving me much pain. I can't even hold my coffee cup without risk of dropping it. My daughter and her husband are building a beautiful new house. They have no room for a shop. I would like to give them all my tools to be used but they have neither the room or interest. Meaning my son and daughter will probably sell my stuff at yard sale prices. e.g. $1200.00 lathe for $20.00; tools $1.00 each, etc. I hate even thinking about that.