Sapele Multi-axis Platter

Mike Stafford

Another platter from my stash of blanks that have lain ignored in the shop for the last 10 years or so. For a while I turned a lot of platters and accumulated a lot of blanks then I moved onto other things. Under the dust and grime I found this 18" by 1 3/4" platter. I learned to turn the multi-axis base from Frank Penta when I took his class on embellishing platters. It has been a while since I had a piece of wood this large swinging off-axis Gotta love how well sapele cuts and finishes.

Here are top and bottom views.

IMG_2168 mod (Custom).jpeg IMG_2171 mod (Custom).jpeg

A detailed view of the multi-axis base. It is always fun to see the reaction of someone when they turn the platter over and see the base. Almost always you get a "How did you do that?"

IMG_2171 detail (Custom).jpeg

Showed that to my advanced students. Some just shook their head. Some got the deer in the headlights look. We do some offset turning next semester so will show this again at that time. Beautiful work.
Jonathan, send me your e-mail address and I will send you the instructions. Just a word of caution, start with a 12" disc. Turning something 18" in diameter is not for the faint of heart.

Very neat!! Years ago when I was turning, I got this little chuck from somewhere the was for turning offset design in small items like medallions. Never got around to trying it and now I'm not sure how to use it.

Attachments

• IMG_4535.JPG
    IMG_4535.JPG
    67.7 KB · Views: 1
  • IMG_4536.JPG
    IMG_4536.JPG
    69.4 KB · Views: 1
  • IMG_4537.JPG
    IMG_4537.JPG
    61.9 KB · Views: 1
Very neat!! Years ago when I was turning, I got this little chuck from somewhere the was for turning offset design in small items like medallions. Never got around to trying it and now I'm not sure how to use it.
Somewhere deep in the depths of the Internet I think I posted a tutorial on using one of those offset chucks, Paul. I'll dig around and see if I can find it.

[Edit to add] Found it...let me know if you have any questions, Paul.

Attachments

• Pendant Turning Tutorial.PDF
    865 KB · Views: 8
Last edited: