Saw Horse and Torsion Beam Rack

glenn bradley

Shop organization; the endless enigma. My saw horses end up left open which takes up space for no reason -or- leaned up in the corner along with my torsion beams, leaned against a machine, moved six times while I am doing something, etc. This morning I take my revenge!
I have some literally garbage ply scraps . . . they'll do.
Torsion Beam Racks (1).jpg
I cut out some oversized blanks and laminate them to make thicker material.
Torsion Beam Racks (2).jpg
From these laminated blanks I cut out the shapes that will fit the things I need to rack.
Torsion Beam Racks (3).jpg
Once again taking good pics of the interiors of the walls before putting up insulation and wall board pays dividends as a reference. I always feel better slamming a 3-1/2" screw into a stud when I know what is in there.
Torsion Beam Racks (4).jpg
The area in front of the service panels should be left open. I am bending that rule here. I can still fully approach the service panels . . . . honest. The rack parts end up looking like so. You can see I have trimmed them to fit over the molding and a ground rod access cover.
Torsion Beam Racks (5).jpg
The mounting is via counter bore and through holes into the 2x6 studs.
Torsion Beam Racks (6).jpg
Now my saw horses and torsion beams have a permanent home. They are out from under foot, not leaning against something where they may fall over, and are not where I will have to move them time and time again. The racks are 32" tall x 8 " deep on 16" centers.
Torsion Beam Racks (7).jpg