Sawbuck designs

Darren Wright

Administrator
Staff member
With the idea that I'll have a lot of waste slabs to chop up from the saw mill, I'm interested in finding a sawbuck design that lets me stack up several slabs and easily chop them up for firewood. Most designs I've seen are simple crosses with bracing to hold a log or two and all the cut-offs go to the ground on either side. I'm looking for something a bit more complex, which may have a lower shelf for cut-offs to gather on for easy pickup, rather than picking up off the ground.

My other thought was one that I may be able to park my carry-all or tractor bucket under for collection of the majority of the cut-offs.

Anyone know of a design that may already exist?

Maybe something like this, borrowed from the Forestry Forum. If you haven't checked it out yet it might help you with your mill and milling questions. Really klunky, but OK once you get the hang of it.
This method lets you stack slabs and cut into bundles tied with (hard to see) binder twine. Could be raised up on a couple more pallets for ease of cutting. Fork the slabs in and bundles out.
20180809-pottery-kiln-sticks-13-jim.jpg

Maybe instead of sticking your bucket or carry all under it, take a pallet and put some sies on it to park there...then move it with the pallet forks.