Say What?!

Paul Douglass

My son sent me this paragraph from the AWS Service terms. Not sure what Amazon AWS (Amazon Web Site) term are.. maybe for those that use Amazon as a selling platform,, Would be my guess.. But paragraph 42.10 is interesting..

"42.10. Acceptable Use; Safety-Critical Systems. Your use of the Lumberyard Materials must comply with the AWS Acceptable Use Policy. The Lumberyard Materials are not intended for use with life-critical or safety-critical systems, such as use in operation of medical equipment, automated transportation systems, autonomous vehicles, aircraft or air traffic control, nuclear facilities, manned spacecraft, or military use in connection with live combat. However, this restriction will not apply in the event of the occurrence (certified by the United States Centers for Disease Control or successor body) of a widespread viral infection transmitted via bites or contact with bodily fluids that causes human corpses to reanimate and seek to consume living human flesh, blood, brain or nerve tissue and is likely to result in the fall of organized civilization."

When lawyers do cocaine :D

During my career my dealings with AWS I.T. staff instilled no confidence whatsoever in doing serious business with them beyond my own retail shopping :whistling: .

Nah makes sense.. it's basically long form of "don't use our not very reliable gaming platform for anything that matters and you're agreeing that if you do it's all on you and not on us". Also "lol in case of zombie apocalypse this doesn't count because we're trying to pretend we're cute and normal".

It would have more power than the systems that were running B Reactor (https://manhattanprojectbreactor.hanford.gov/ worth the tour..) back in the day. OTOH they also had an axe next to a rope as the emergency "dump water to scram the reactor" setup as well... which might be harder to do over the interwebs..
the guy who was responsible for using the Ax was called the Super Critical Reactor Ax Man (SCRAM). And yes I have scramed a reactor once or twice.

the guy who was responsible for using the Ax was called the Super Critical Reactor Ax Man (SCRAM). And yes I have scramed a reactor once or twice.

That is *probably* a backronym, the NRC history claims the original origin of the term was if you hit the button you should "scram out of there" and so they labeled the button the SCRAM button and the rest as they say is history.

I would say any day you scram a reactor is probably not a great day for all involved hah.

My other favorite was the safety training where we had to learn a whole set of different sirens, but there was one which was "awwooogaa" and the only instructions for it were "run", presumably because they couldn't figure out a proper pictogram for the actual thing you should be doing...

That is *probably* a backronym, the NRC history claims the original origin of the term was if you hit the button you should "scram out of there" and so they labeled the button the SCRAM button and the rest as they say is history.

I would say any day you scram a reactor is probably not a great day for all involved hah.

My other favorite was the safety training where we had to learn a whole set of different sirens, but there was one which was "awwooogaa" and the only instructions for it were "run", presumably because they couldn't figure out a proper pictogram for the actual thing you should be doing...
The nuclear field is filled with colorful acronyms.... another one is called CRUD. It is the irradiated particle of material that are left over after being exposed to radiation a good example is Cobalt 60 which can be made by taking Nichol 59 and subjecting it to a bombardment of neutrons turning it into Cobalt 60. Nichol is used in many part of the reactor cooling system and small particles can be found in the reactor coolant. When the coolant goes through the reactor it picks up another neutron and become unstable thus Nichol 59 become Cobalt 60. The term CRUD comes from the words Chock River Undisclosed Deposit and came about when the Chock River was contaminated by a Nuclear spill back in the early 50's. Cobalt 60 has a half life of 5.27 years.

Chock River Undisclosed Deposit

Appears to be independently developed as a term of art both there and some 10 years earlier at Handford..

:)

"The word appeared in a technical manual as early as May 1944 at in the Hanford Engineering Works in Washington State. The manual described the use of chemical treatments “to seep insoluble ‘crud’ and mud from the solution.” By 1947, “crud” was a common enough in the AEC that reports from Hanford and Oak Ridge no longer used quotation marks to describe the “crud deposition problem.”

Sorry Ryan all I can go on is what I was taught in Nuclear power school....lol
Interesting fact about the Chock River incident a young Nuke engineer from the states was part of the team the went in to clean up the mess, he later became an officer on a Nuke sub and some time after that he became the 39th president of the United states.

Sorry Ryan all I can go on is what I was taught in Nuclear power school....lol

My reading was that CRUD had both meanings and they were probably independently arrived at .. although it's pretty hard to know 100% for sure at this point. It's also true that at some point whether the story of the origin was 100% correct the usage reflects the current reality as the language shifts so it's as good of an explanation as not :)

Interesting fact about the Chock River incident a young Nuke engineer from the states was part of the team the went in to clean up the mess, he later became an officer on a Nuke sub and some time after that he became the 39th president of the United states.

And then went on to help build a whole lot of houses!

Chalk was also a source of a lot of medical isotopes which have a long history of insufficient supply and challenges keeping the reactors that generate them funded and running (production there ceased only a couple years back).

I think the Hanford history is really interesting. Probably because I lived it.. My dad, two sons and pg wife move here from Portland area to work as a carpenter. I was the one in the basket. Born in early '44. I of coarse do not remember the first years, but I do remember as a you kid not knowing what my dad really did.. Building the reactor, they had no idea what they were building until it was pretty much completed. His work was never discussed at home other than he was a carpenter. My folks lived in a converted chicken house for a while because there were enough houses for all the people that move in to work on the secret project. You had to wait for a house to be finished and your turn and you took what was available. One of the most interest things I read about, but really never thought about it growing up, was there were no old people...no Grandpas and Grandmas. It was all young families. The oldest people I knew were our neighbors Mr and Mrs Carter.. They were in their fifties at the time and surrogate grandparents to all the neighbor kids. We all loved them. There are so many things I took for granted as a kid that really not normal for most kids even in the 40's, and 50's. Really no crime, everyone was working some phase of the same project, no one talked about work, no locked door,, I mean no locked doors keys left in all cars... everyone had pretty much the same government issued furniture. Coal furnaces for those houses that had basement. Coal delivered by the government, and dumped through a basement window into the coal ben. Houses without basements has electric apace heaters.. Every thing was furnished by the government. well you bought your food and clothes at a company store. All maintenance on the home was done by the government employees, house painting inside and out, all repairs. I could go on and on... I really had a great sheltered childhood. I did not really think about or even know until I joined the Marine Corps and then what an education this naive young man got...

Interesting turn of events... when the PC computers first came out and were portable enough to be taken into the field to export them I had to apply for a specific export license from the department of transportation... I had to find out the BAUD rate for each unit I was applying a license for.... It was a couple of years before regs were changed and exports were allowed with out licenses.

IBM was slow to get into the PC market... they didn't think people would want a computer on their desk.